Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Revit local files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
loda
769 Views, 5 Replies

Creating Revit local files

In previous versions of revit, autodesk/ revit trainers had stressed the importance of "dragging and dropping" local copies of the revit files onto users computers via 2 open directory windows. It was explained that using the "copy & paste" method could at times create a corrupted file and there for corrupt the central file when saving the local file back to central. In the latest version of Revit, is this still the case? Does the "copy & paste" method still create problems? Or has this issue been resolved?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
brettgatti
in reply to: loda

I don't really understand what the difference is between the two scenarios that you mention.

Maybe I'm missing something (or I don't understand how Windows copies files as well as I think I do) but I have always thought that doing a Copy & Paste and dragging between two open explorer windows accomplishes exactly the same thing - they make a copy of your file using the same Windows functions.

I have never had a file corrupt doing this either way that you describe - Copy / Paste or between open windows.
Message 3 of 6
loda

During initial training for Revit 8, our office was specifically told by the trainer, not to use "copy & paste". There was a bug in the program, where files could become corrupted if one made a local copy that way. I just wanted to know if this was the case anymore or if Autodesk fixed this problem with later versions. If you've never had this problem, it sounds like the bug may have been fixed. Yes? No? What versions have you used?

Thanks.
Message 4 of 6
RevitIt

There was never a bug using copy/paste. Thats actually the prefer method since you won't have to open the central file.
I would look for another training asap 🙂
Message 5 of 6
pkirill

You can also try this tool: http://www.ramlug.org/?p=176. It's a tool built to automate and standardize the creation of local files...
Message 6 of 6
Scott_Womack

In 2010, there is a new option, that you navigate to the Central file, There is a check box at the bottom that is "On by Default" that will create a new local copy, so they are not actually opening the central, It appends the user's name to the end of the central file's name, so there there is no chance of "opening the central, or saving over it easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report