Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying model information between projects.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
IMCornish
239 Views, 3 Replies

Copying model information between projects.

Rather than update a single project file every time a stage is passed, in the UK this might be, for instance Planning Approval, and moving on to a further stage, again in the UK this might be Building Regulations Approval, I prefer to  copy the original file and carry out further works on the copy.  This means that I keep the integrity of the Planning Approval Stage file intact so that future/future developments in the design can be backtracked and because of the current litigious nature of the business it can't be argued with!

The problem with this, aside from being a little off the BIM development ideal, is that new discreet drawings are needed for each stage as well as numerous other maters of detail, annotations etc.

Because of this I had the idea of having seperate templates for the common stages of a projects development progress but how can I import the original model geometry from the original stage into the new project?

I have looked at linking, sharing, worksets etc but don't see any as the way forward.  Does anyone have any ideas if it would be possible or should this be added to my Revit development wishlist?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
vector3
in reply to: IMCornish

Merge two separate models into one? Never heard of anything like that.

Message 3 of 4
loboarch
in reply to: IMCornish

It is possible to bind a linked file into the host file as a group.  Then it can be ungrouped and edited.  This may work in the situation you are describing.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/2760-Tools_an2760/2812-Editing_2812...

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 4
IMCornish
in reply to: loboarch

Have attempted this and by and large it works but there are many elements out of position and phasing of elements appears to be ignored such that all "existing", but demolished, elements from the original are added to the "new construction" set.  In other words a lot of work is needed to edit the model back to the way it was left in the previous stage, in fact so much so that I believe that copying the previous phase as a new project and going from there is probably more efficient.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report