Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Monitor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
revitus
204 Views, 2 Replies

Copy/Monitor

Hello again,

I am trying to understand the copy/monitor process better. I am the Architect for a project using Revit Arch 2009 - I have set up a preliminary strucutral grid with Architectural columns, sent my model to the structural engineer who has copy/monitored the grids and columns (and levels, floors and bearing walls). When I get the structural model back for the first time, do I "copy" the grids back in to establish the relationship in the copy/monitor mode, or do I just "monitor" my original ones?

Are there any other things that might be very important with this process (I do know that it is important to stop monitoring any objects before deleting them due to the unresolved error messages).

All help will once again be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Scott_Womack
in reply to: revitus

> {quote:title=scottl-gai wrote:}{quote}
> I have set up a preliminary structural grid with Architectural columns, sent my model to the structural engineer who has copy/monitored the grids and columns (and levels, floors and bearing walls). When I get the structural model back for the first time, do I "copy" the grids back in to establish the relationship in the copy/monitor mode, or do I just "monitor" my original ones?
>
> Are there any other things that might be very important with this process (I do know that it is important to stop monitoring any objects before deleting them due to the unresolved error messages).

You only have to monitor them, provided they are exactly in line. I typically align the grid, then activate the Copy/Monitor system, and then use the monitor tool to establish the "connection" between the two items. I certainly monitor the levels and grids. Floors is a good thing as well for two reasons. 1) to ensure you know where the engineer is setting his edge of slab at; and 2) so the elevation information of the floors can be quickley checked. A major reason for the structural engineer to either copy or monitor your floor slabs is so that when you add a chase for the MEP, the structural engineer will know where, and how big this opening in the floor is to be.

Make sure your engineer(s) understand the importance of communication, as well as un-monitoring items before they delete them on their end. If used properly by both parties, Copy/Monitoring is a good tool (although a little limited).
Message 3 of 3
revitus
in reply to: revitus

That clears things up for me - thank you Scott.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report