Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Monitor Deleted Element Revit 2011

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
6262 Views, 7 Replies

Copy/Monitor Deleted Element Revit 2011

I used the Copy/Monitor tool in Revit 2011 to bring our structural consultant's gridlines into our architectural model and it worked great. Sometime between now and then, someone in our office has deleted some of the gridlines and when I try to Copy/Monitor the gridlines again, it tells me that the gridlines have already been copied and that I need to stop monitoring them. However, I can't stop monitoring them because they have been deleted. Our structural consultant has run the Monitor tool but can't bring back the deleted gridlines.Does anyone know how to stop monitoring all of the gridlines so that I can run the Copy/Monitor tool again to get all of the gridlines back in our model.

Thanks for the help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ryan.duell
in reply to: Anonymous

One question; are you only monitoring the gridlines in the structural link?  Technically if you remove the link > re-link the Revit project, you can copy / monitor all of the gridlines from scratch.  However, keep in mind this will remove any tags \ visibility \ graphic overrides, etc with the linked file if you remove it outright.

By default, you should only get the “Element has already been copied. Stop existing monitoring to copy again.” message if the gridline still exists in the project file.  If actually deleted, you should be able to copy/monitor the same gridline.

Are you able to temporarily unload the linked file in Manage Links, and add a new section through the floor plan to ensure the grids are not present in the project? 

For example, the gridline model end extent may have been dragged so it does not intersect the view.

Please let us know if this is helpful.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.duell

Ryan,

I ended up unloading our linked structural model and using the select all instances in entire project command on our gridlines. Once I had them selected, I deleted them all. I then reloaded the linked structural model and ran the copy/monitor tool to copy the gridlines which worked. Thanks for the advice, it helped. 

Thank you,

Matt

Message 4 of 8
jraesly
in reply to: ryan.duell

I just came across this exact issue with our project.  I don't want to unlink my structural model and loose all of our copy/monitored grids.  I have three structural grid lines that don't exist for some reason.  I get the "Element has already been copied. Stop existing monitoring to copy again."  I can't find them anywhere in the model so they must have been deleted.  I should be able to copy them again based on your comment but I can't.   Can I stop monitoring a single grid element in the linked model then copy/monitor it again.  Or is there another way of getting these three grids back without destroying all the other grids?  Hope your still monitoring this feed.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
ovlagkouli

I had the same issue in REVIT 2017 , where I was convinced I must have by some accident deleted the grid lines, as they were not showing on any views, despite getting the message "this grid-line exists already" when I tried to copy monitor it again. Not even brand new created plans. . However, I created a schedule with the grids and they were still there! I clicked "show in model" and by some miracle both my grid-lines returned on all the drawings. I suspect a system glitch... 

Message 6 of 8

This really helped me!
Message 7 of 8
lpeckham5GE2V

I had a similar issue, grids from linked model no longer visible after being copy monitored, then deleted. The grids were not visible in a grid schedule. Even after removing and relinking the model, the grids were not visible. My solution was to use a "Linked View" from the linked model that shows the grids, I was then able to copy monitor them

Message 8 of 8

I couldn't find the levels in my drawing, but I could see they were there in the level schedule.  I just deleted the level I was having the problem with, and re-copy-ed it, and it worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report