Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert AutoCAD wall sections to Revit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kate_vanhout
590 Views, 5 Replies

Convert AutoCAD wall sections to Revit

I am using Revit Architecture 2012 and I am looking to Convert our AutoCAD wall sections into Revit.  What I would like to do is make these an annotation family that I can import into my projects if needed.  Is there an easy way of doing this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I assume you are referring to the symbol for wall sections, correct?

Do not import any CAD symbols, just do your own Revit symbols. If you want the same graphics, you need to modify the existing symbol in Revit, save the family with another name, then save it into your default template.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6

I included a picture of the cross section I am using.  What I want to do with this is bring it into revit and change the lettering and lines to revit letters and lines... and I would like to save it as a family so I can load it into projects and I want to be able to add parameters to some of the information so I can change that info according to each project.  I have tried opening a new generic annotations template to use for this but you cannot set a scale and I would also like to be able to have this to scale.  Is there any better way of doing this?

Message 4 of 6

So you are not talking about the symbol, but about the actual wall section. In that case, this assembly could be created using several Detail Components. There are several of these components already avalable in the built-in libraries of Revit. For the elements that don't exist in those folders, you need to create your own. Some other elements in this wall section can be created with other tools, such as filled regions, insulation tool, repeating details, etc.

I hope it helps, but, my concern is that this is not a BIM-like approach. A wall section that is a block or a family will not have any real connection with the Revit model.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

That is exactly what I want!  We have a rambler, 2 story, and bi-level cross section that we use for all of our homes.  I don't want to have to create one in each project we do.  

Message 6 of 6

Then, do it with detail components, as explained above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report