Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Wall Wraps at Window Reveals

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MKEllis
5540 Views, 7 Replies

Controlling Wall Wraps at Window Reveals

Hi,

I've been working up a window family that includes a correction for sizing the window to the structural core rather than a finish (plaster and render) which is what Revit does by default.

I've managed to get the system functioning correctly at plan reveals - but for some reason, the finishes will not wrap at window head / cill level. I've set up 2 wall closure ref planes - called 'Closure External' and 'Closure Internal' and used these to control the extent of the finish wrapping.

I've gone away to check the perfomance of the standard revit window families - and all of them seem to do the same thing, and fail to wrap any of the finishes at the window head despite wrapping correctly at plan reveals.

In all cases above - the walls are set to wrap both internal and external at inserts.

Am I missing something really obvious here ?

Many thanks,

Martin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

OK, turns out the obvious thing I was missing is the fact that Revit cannot wrap layers in section, only in plan.

Looks like another work-around - and that I'll need to create an extrusion for the external and internal render / plaster finish as part of the family. Not ideal, as I will need to create alternate versions now for where I have facing brick or render externally.

Unless anyone has any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Martin

Message 3 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

I think you are not missing anything. That's the way it works at the moment. The "wrapping" feature works in plan view, only. For sections, we can use the wall sections and callouts, to create the exact detail.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo - I suppose it's no big deal, I'll just have to remember to make the material selection controllable to match the internal / external finishes.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 5 of 8
justin.rattigan

Martin,

Can you point me to a tuitorial that you used to achieve this? I can only seem to find complex methods that use multiple voids etc.

Thanks,

Justin

Message 6 of 8

Message 7 of 8

The tool you want to use for this is the "Cut Profile" tool, Located within the "Graphics" panel on the "View" tab.

Use it as a when you need it in your section/callouts, it is a View specific mod. You can select the material within the wall you want to wrap and edit the profile of it. This is a better way than drawing in your own filled regions as this continues the hatch pattern uninterrupted. 

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 8 of 8

Thanks Alisder,

That tool will be useful but it does not suit my current project situation. I am working on a school project and have a lot of instances with this situation, It would be best if revit could give this (or something close) by itself upon iserting a window. I have attached an image of current and desired situation when a window is inserted.

At a scale of 1:50 the render is not important but I would like the block to turn as shown on the image. 

Thanks again,

Justin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report