Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Visual Styles through linked files?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cadmancan
4898 Views, 6 Replies

Controlling Visual Styles through linked files?

So have a great arch model.  I am trying to control the visibility or visual style of the model but through the linked arch file. Everything is wireframe or simple black and white lines and I can see all my devices and equipment for the entire length of the building when I only want to see the devices in the room or where the camera is.  It seems when I switch to hidden only my devices change no the linked arch model nor do any of my devices on the other side of the wall go away.  I am sure for some the answer is simple but it is escaping me entirely.  Can someone point me to some areas where I can better control the visual styles in my views of not just my own stuff but the other disciplines as well.  Do I have to do anything to the linked files?  Going through the Visibility Graphics Links tab doesnt seem to help either.  Much appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LisaDrago
in reply to: cadmancan

You do have control over the linked files.

In visibility graphics you will want to go to the Revit links tab - it will show all of the revit links.

You will need to select the one you want and click on the display setting - by host view button.

That will open up a new dialog box RVT Link Display Settings. 

Once in there you can change it from By host view to Custom - once you do that you will be able to control the linked file's view properties.

You also have access to all of the tabs across the top. If you click on model category - change it from by host view to custom and everything will now be accessible to turn off and on.

I have added an image for reference.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 7
cadmancan
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks for the resposne.  I have done this already.  My issue isnt having the ability to turn things on and off.  My issue is I go into the arch model and look at a camera view.  On realistic or consistent colors the camera view (or even 3D view) looks good.  I go into a plan view of my model which has the arch linked.  I go to VG and then the RVT links.  I set the Arch.rvt and the instance 1 (New Site) to custom view.  From there the first pull down which is linked view I set it to a view I know is good in the arch model, called overeall plan view.  So far plan view looks good.  I switch to a camera view and no matter what visual style I switch to the arch model doesnt change.  I also can see evey device beyond the hall or room I am currently in.  I only want to see the area Im in.  I am never in wire frame either.  In a 3D view I have far less options in the VG dialog box under RVT links.  I set the display settings to custom and under the pulldown (see attachment) for linked view I only have 3D view 1 and 2 and it seems those are fom my modle not the arch model. 

Long story short: 

1. How do I only see the devices that are in the room Im in.

2. How do I get a 3d/camera view to show in my model like a particular view is in the arch model.

Sorry if this was long.  I appreciate the input.  Many thanks.

Message 4 of 7
LisaDrago

What is the discipline set to in the view - in the properties dialog box?

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 7
cadmancan

That was it.  You rock!  Under the properties of the view my discipline was set to electrical.  I set it to architectureal and BAM!  The appaearance was exactly what I was after.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
LisaDrago

You are welcome, Just had to narrow it down to get the right thing.

Have a great day!

LD

Message 7 of 7
nahas786

thank u so much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report