Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Surface pattern line weight in Revit

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
BIMAbhi
15947 Views, 8 Replies

Control Surface pattern line weight in Revit

How we can change the line weight of a surface pattern in Revit. For and example Ceiling Outer line reflects more line weight than the surface hatch pattern. We hav attached a snpa for your easy reference.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
gustavomello
in reply to: BIMAbhi

As far as i know you can only control the weight of the outer lines, which are the geometry lines. This way you can have heavier lines on the outer lines and lighter on the surface pattern. Go to object styles and change the projection weight for the category, ceilings in your example. Other thing you can do is change the color of the pattern to gray, i use this method to give the patterns a lighter look(i think is better than messing with the category weights).

Hope this helps,

Gustavo

Message 3 of 9
BIMAbhi
in reply to: gustavomello

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Mainly we want to reduce the line weight of the surface pattern instead increasing the Outer line lineweight.

Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 4 of 9
gustavomello

Even if you could change pattern lineweight, and i don´t think you can, i think it´s default lineweight is 1, so there´s no way of making them lighter. Once i read somewhere else of a workaround, but is a hardwork one:

-set all category lineweights 1 up (if the default is 1, set it to 2);

-in the lineweights dialog set the corresponding thickness to be the same of the weight just below (in the weight 2 set it to the default thickness of weight 1 and so on);

-set weight 1 to a smaller thickness so the surface patterns will be lighter.

this way the weight 2 will be the old 1, weight 3 will be the old 2 and so on and the surface patterns will stay at 1 but lighter.

ATTENTION: I´ve never tried this and i don´t know for sure if surface patterns are tied to weight 1,do a small test before you change all lineweights...And do it on a template so you don´t have do do it on all projects.

Message 5 of 9
floydputnam8678

Why is this marked solved?  it's not solved.  the answer is you can't do that.  that's not solved it's a flaw.

After some experimentation I found a workaround.  in object styles set the projected line weight of the object in question in this case a ceiling to the lineweight you want the surface pattern to be.  Then in your visability controls for the view make a filter for the object and change the projected line weight using the filter.  for whatever reason the object style links the surface pattern to the projected line weight, but the filter does not.

Message 6 of 9

After some experimentation I found a workaround.  in object styles set the projected line weight of the object in question in this case a ceiling to the lineweight you want the surface pattern to be.  Then in your visability controls for the view make a filter for the object and change the projected line weight using the filter.  for whatever reason the object style links the surface pattern to the projected line weight, but the filter does not.

Nice workaround

Message 7 of 9
m.i.m.o

Pattern hatches all respond to lineweight 1. To further that, lineweight 2 is assigned to ceiling patterns.

And to answer your next question:
No, you can't re-assign which lineweight patterns use.

Message 8 of 9
dos.shi
in reply to: floydputnam8678

really? could you please attach some screen shot for clarity? I just cannot repeat it in Revit 2021...

Message 9 of 9
Martijn.Pater
in reply to: dos.shi

Your surface patterns follow lineweight 1 setting, afaik only way to control it is it using pen 2 and up instead of 1 and up, so copy 1 to 2, 2 to 3 etc. and set object style projection lineweights to 2 and up. Then you could set surface patterns seperately as global setting. edit: actually as posted above by @gustavomello I believe.

The above mentioned workaround I can't replicate, not sure what object we're talking about there also...(?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report