Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated Family, Where do I start

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rrenault
1077 Views, 10 Replies

Complicated Family, Where do I start

So, Ive got the task of creating a corinthian capital in Revit for an interior project I am working on.  I've been trying to create just the capital alone as a family, but need to develop very organic shapes of acanthus leaves and volutes.

I'm thinking how can this be done? Should I be using massing instead? (Not very well versed on massing) or maybe it cannot be done in revit, and needs to be imported through some other program such as inventor?

HELP!  See enclosed screenshot from autocad drawing......Corinthian.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: rrenault

Have you done a search to see if anyone may have already done one? I see some on RevitCity but not sure how detailed they are.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 11
rrenault

Yes, I am a big fan, but the one there is not accurately detailed, it also cannot accept any materials. It must have been imported from a sketch up file. I'm looking to do the impossible, I know
Message 4 of 11
ccollins

These are a close a s I could find.........

maybe these can help you get started?

If so, and you are able to model your example--please post it here!

Good luck!

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 11
jim5552
in reply to: ccollins

Alternative to modeling capitol... Could the AutoCAD line work be imported and placed on 4 faces of a tapered box? Cheating, maybe, but might work.

Message 6 of 11
rrenault

Actually the finished work will be rendered, I'm not sure if that would even show up, but I'll give it a whirl and see, just for curiosity sakes. Thanks for the post.
Message 7 of 11
ccollins

Lines will NOT show up in a rendering............Revit doesn't like "cheating"..Smiley Happy

Will the rendering be up close enough to require lots of detail?

If it's a street view ( 50-100 feet away from columns) try the families I posted, then set up a quick rendering test

to see how they look.

Good luck!

Edit: attached is a VERY quick render, just to see what might be possible......

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 8 of 11
ccollins
in reply to: ccollins

Here's a closer up view----not too bad.....

Less than 5 minutes to render on "High" setting.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 11
rrenault

Thanks for the help, it's an interior rendering, and fairly close, but I plan on giving them a shot. Thanks again!
Message 10 of 11
shawn

Doing this sort of thing in Revit is beyond my abilities, but my guess is that Revit is NOT the ideal program for this sort of modeling.

And I'm not too familiar with sketch-up or inventor, but if you have access to an older software called Studio Viz or it's more robust cousin Max, both would be ideal for modeling this sort of form using extursions and mesh deforms. Good luck.

S.G.

Message 11 of 11
alan.quinn

I’m just following up on what the others have posted. I always start by looking for a family that comes close, saving it under a new name and altering to my needs. The examples that ccollins provided are as good as you are going to get without doing anything. If you need to get more detailed I would consider using the conceptual massing tool or possible another application and importing the end results into Revit. Also, Revit has a nice rendering engine, but if you render in 3D max you will have more control and better end results. I have included a few links that may be helpful:

Conceptual Massing Tool:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/0140-Prelimin140/0208-Conceptu20...

Families WikiHelp:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/0325-Build_th325/1279-Revit_Fa12...

Hope this was useful and thanks for postings 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report