Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check out the Self-Paced Guide “My First Plug-in”

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
saikat
9803 Views, 17 Replies

Check out the Self-Paced Guide “My First Plug-in”

Check out the Self-Paced Guide “My First Plug-in” presented by the ADN Revit Team

http://www.autodesk.com/myfirstrevitplugin

Are you an Autodesk Revit power user with an interest in becoming even more productive? Would you like to automate or extend the capabilities of Revit, but are new to computer programming? If so, then this guide is designed for you.

“My First Plug-in” is a self-paced tutorial guide for a smooth introduction into the programming world. This is a “one-stop shop” learning path for users who know Autodesk products but are absolutely new to programming and are thinking about taking the plunge. In this guide, you will be working with the Autodesk Revit .NET API and the C# programming language. The supported product version is Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011 and succeeding versions.

There are many resources available on the web for you to learn about the Autodesk Revit API (Application Programming Interface), however, these resources tend to be designed for people who already know programming. This guide is different: it assumes no previous programming knowledge and yet helps you build your first plug-in quickly, without swamping you with details. You’ll have a working application within an hour of starting this material, irrespective of your current level of programming expertise.

The guide will start by reviewing the benefits of customizing Autodesk software before progressing onto lessons covering the use of the Autodesk Revit API. The lessons will start by building a working plug-in before covering more detailed explanations of the underlying principles and further developing the application’s functionality.

Product: Autodesk Revit 2011 or higher
Programming Language: C#
Application Programming Interface (API): Revit .NET API

If you have any feedback on this new guide let us know at myfirstplugin@autodesk.com

Saikat Bhattacharya
Senior Manager - Technology Consulting
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Michi-Ken
in reply to: saikat

looks great looking forward to trying it - I only have Revit 2010, will this be an issue?

Message 3 of 18
saikat

Hi Michi-Ken

Thanks for the words of appreciation.

Revit API had undergone some fundamental changes from Revit 2010 to Revit 2011 and so we will recommend that you use Revit 2011 (and higher) when you are trying out this guide.

Good luck and hope you enjoy working with this guide. Feel free to get in touch with us if you have any queries.

cheers

Saikat

Saikat Bhattacharya
Message 4 of 18
DParkGForce

I was planning on working through guide and I followed the link to install the Visual C# 2010 Express but the link offered the latest version of visual studio 11 beta which installs .NET4.5 beta. This version of .NET corrupted my ribbon and made Revit mostly unuseable so don't install the 2011 version it offers.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 5 of 18
revitapp
in reply to: DParkGForce

Good share. There are some message from microsoft about this.

Important notes:

• The .NET Framework 4.5 RC replaces the .NET Framework 4. When you install the .NET Framework 4.5 RC on a system that has the .NET Framework 4 installed, the assemblies are replaced.

• Uninstalling the .NET Framework 4.5 RC also removes pre-existing .NET Framework 4 files. If you want to go back to the .NET Framework 4, you must reinstall it and any updates to it.

• You must have administrative credentials to install the .NET Framework 4.5 RC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revit Applications provider[revitapp.com].
Message 6 of 18
doltuku

thanks for all the information guys

iklan gratis

iklan baris

jual beli

Message 7 of 18
Intecinfocom

wonder if it is still restricted to limited functions only or Autodesk now allows to change basic configuration on Revt as it does with AutoCAD

Message 8 of 18
saikat

Hi Intecinfocom

It might be a good idea to elaborate on your query (about which specific configuration you are asking about) and open up a new forum post, so that the query can be easily located by other members in this community and does not get buried in this post which is about the My First Revit Plugin guide.

thanks

Saikat Bhattacharya
Message 9 of 18
regalith

ok I get this erroe when I try to run the plugin.  Any ideas? Or should I just move onto the next step.

Win 7

MS VS Express 2012

Revit 2013

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 18
DaveDrahn

So.. this looks like it may not be a good option for  thos with "no previous programming knowledge" and may also not "help(s) you build your first plug-in quickly".

Is that what I'm seeing here?  Not trying to be an a**, just wondering if I shouldn't waste any time with this yet.

Message 11 of 18

Does my first plugin have an answer to this question below? 

1.) First can you explain "full or part in-window presence," as paraphrased from the below statement.

In window integration. Your app has a full or part in-window presence within the product, beyond just launching from the ribbon"

If not what does the statement mean, other than I can see updates on the status bar or something similar? How do I create a full or part window presence? Do you know of any code that would help me out?

cheers
Nik

Message 12 of 18
goodrichard_21

Hello! I tried to following the steps using VS Express 2013 for Web and Revit 2014 but i cant make it work. Do you have a steps for that version because I dont have any background with Visual software. Please help. I really want to learn this and thank you for this tutorial.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kindly use "Accept as Solution" if it's the solution to your problem and to help others find solutions easily...
and "Kudo" to fire up the morale of the people here 😃
Message 13 of 18
Qrotex

Great thank you alot 😃

Mohamed Qarqash | Architect, Model Maker®
Message 14 of 18
Wayne.rooney
in reply to: Qrotex

@saikat Hi it says the page is not found

Message 15 of 18

Hi guys,

Your guide  “My First Plug-in” is nice, but there is one small snag. I can not find Add-Ins ribbon and external tools button. 

So, what now ?

Jerry

Message 16 of 18
akosi

Im using VS 2017 professional for Revit 2017.

Im trying to do this guide and ran to an error. in LESSON 1 STEP 7.

Pls advise on how to solve this.

1stpluginerror.png

Message 17 of 18
in reply to: akosi

Hi, I am not sure, but you have to add ALL necessary references to reference list in SolutionExplorer.

I.e. RevitAPI.dll and RevitAPIUI.dll. Both of these files you can find in Revit installation directory +

set CopyLocal flag to False !!! for every inserted reference.

PS: Are you sure that you want to be Revit PlugIn programmer ? Are you really sure ? Revit is NOT internally

interconnected with MS Visual Studio neither with any other development system. It means that everything

what you create and compile (as a DLL !!!) you have to move to Revit AddIns directory (+create .addins file)

first and if any problem will appear you will ascertain this as lately as Revit is lauched again. This system is

VERY different to native symbiosis of MS Visual Studio and Unity3D graphics system. I think that Autodesk

created such imbecil system intentionally.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Take a look over here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/where-is-add-ins-ribon/m-p/7113963#M151107

and here

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/how-to-force-to-run-add-ins-plugin-in-c-for-revit-201...

Message 18 of 18
htews

is this something similar to Dynamo? difference between this and Dynamo?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report