Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Detail Lines Globally

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2977 Views, 2 Replies

Changing Detail Lines Globally

My firm has tasked, yours truly, with transferring the CAD Detail Library to our new Revit Standards. I started out by converting our CAD details to Revit and saving them in one file in individual Detail Views. The next step is to convert the line weights to the new company standard styles and widths. I thought it would be as simple as selecting an old detail line type then “Selecting All Instances in Entire Project” and converting all of those line styles to the new standard in one fell swoop (rinsing and repeating until all the old line styles were up to date). However, Revit doesn’t allow you to “Select All Instances” of Detail Lines (oops). We have about 500 standard details that need to be converted. Has anyone out there faced a similar situation? Is there a work around?

Thank you in advance!

Julian
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This advice may be a little late, we did the same thing. Here was my process:

I dumped a lot of ACAD details into a single Revit detail view in a distinct, separate rvt file. In groups 40 or 50 at a time. Then explode them all. 

Select all, then filter. You can spot the ACAD styles, and you filter for each line type, wide, thin, etc. and re-assign to revit styles. Delete things like defpoints, and so on. 

Then after you've cleaned all the details of the ACAD line styles, do the same with text. Then you have to deal with patterns, those are the hardest to 're-map'. Many of the patterns are best deleted, they really don't translate well, they leave a lot of oddly named pattern styles.  

Once all of the objects are set to revit styles that match your revit standards, you cut and paste each detail into a 2nd clean revit file that is to your firms standards, view by view, leaving all the acad junk styles in the first file. You've got to leave all the crap ACAD styles in the intermediate file. 

It sounds tedious, but once you get rolling you can do a detail every couple of minutes. If you have already dumped them into individual views, you're stuck. You just can't clean them up as a group, its one by one. 

After you get them all cleaned and organized, you can add in revit native detail elements to the ACAD-based details as time goes on. We are re-building a lot of them as we go, but still the old details are a good framework. You have to get from here to there somehow. 

Message 3 of 3
GlynnisVP
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

If you haven't addressed this issue yet, you might consider downloading the Free Trial of Ideate Explorer which allows you do find all Detail Lines of a certain type and swap them out to a different type.

http://www.ideateexplorer.com/trial.php

Short video here:  http://screencast.com/t/FQoJ4EhLFvF2

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Glynnis Patterson, Architect

www.ideatebimlink.com   www.ideateexplorer.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report