Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central file problem windows 7

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1407 Views, 4 Replies

Central file problem windows 7

I am having problems sharing a central file from my workstation.  I created a shared folder on my workstation and made a central file. Other users can access the central file but it doesn't allow them to create a local file. Once they have opened the file I am no longer able to make my own local file. When either of us tries to close our local copies it will not allow us to relinquish elements. When I try to access the central file saved by another user it tells me that the local file created by the other user was moved.

We do have a domain and we don't have the same issue with files saved on the server. I want to keep new project files on my computer because our server is getting full and saving to the server is really slow. It is much faster having the central files on my workstation.

We have no problems creating or opening other files like PDF's or DWG files in the same folder so it seems to only be a Revit related issue. I set the permissions for all domain users and computers as well as allowing everyone and we still have the same issue.

Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?

Thanks

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

For about $50 you could add about a terabyte of storage to your server...which should be enough for about 20,000 average size projects (+/- 50MB apiece).  If speed is an issue, you could always upgrade your Ethernet switch to a Gigabyte switch, if you're not already using one.  We found that our sync times decreased dramatically after we upgraded from a 100MB switch (if I remember correctly).  I think that set us back about $250.

If that's not an option, I have a couple of follow-up questions, just to try and troubleshoot your problem.  Are the other users trying to create the local files on their own workstations, or on yours?  Do you open the central file and create a new local file through Revit, or do you double-click on the central file to open it through Windows Explorer?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

We have been requesting more drive space for a while and I am not sure why they haven't done anything about it. Same thing with the gigabit switch. In the engineering department we have good workstations with gigabit lan cards and I dont think the rest of the office would need to be upgraded. We are without an IT department at the moment but I am trying to get them to allow an upgrade for us.

It just dawned on me that on my computer the path to my local project folder is on the E: drive but the path from the network begins with my computer name. I am betting that is the problem. Whenever someone tries to access the central file from the network it wants to reset the path so we are always fighting eachother. I think if we all map the project folder to the same drive letter it will fix the problem.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

We mapped my local folder to the Z: drive on all computers and the problem is solved.

I have to remake the central files on the projects that are on this drive but thankfully there are only 3.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I have faced same problem also. After days of searching I finally found this software and using for some time. That is Long Path Tool, which can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename. You may have problems accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters, Long Path Tool will answer the problems which can handle pathnames up to the internal limit of 32,000 characters! To use the program all you need to do is to download this program online and save all the settings to your computer. This program is compatible with Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7. So go to longpathtool(dot com) get your problem solved. So do not wait get your problem solved from longpathtool website.

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report