Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
CADdaddy.com
Message 1 of 6 (404 Views)

Ceiling won't automatically place with column cover in wall

404 Views, 5 Replies
07-01-2009 10:58 PM
Rooms completely surrounded by walls....ceilings place fine. If an architectural column is placed between two of the walls (curtain wall or basic wall) ceilings will not automatically place. Frustrating. Am I doing something wrong?

James LeVieux
melarch
Message 2 of 6 (404 Views)

Re: Ceiling won't automatically place with column cover in wall

07-02-2009 03:31 AM in reply to: CADdaddy.com
James,

I did not have a problem placing a ceiling automatically in Revit 2009 or 2010. I checked out properties for ceiling and used both Columns checked and unchecked as room bounding with no problems. I am not sure what is going on with your install not placing an ceiling automatically. Is there more info you can provide? Does this happen in more than one project? Can you send the file off discussion to me at melarch@comcast.net or is the file too large. If so can you create a new file with just one room's walls, columns and ceiling and send it?

Mel Persin, aia
Mel Persin, aia
*Brian Winterscheidt
Message 3 of 6 (404 Views)

07-02-2009 10:01 AM in reply to: CADdaddy.com
When you say an architectural column is placed "between" two walls, do
you mean that the walls do not physically connect to each other?

Though colums may be room bounding, they are not ceiling bounding. The
ceiling sketch will continue through the column to your walls. If the
walls do not connect, you have a hole in your boundary.

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
parveensharma2130
Message 4 of 6 (404 Views)

07-02-2009 08:46 PM in reply to: CADdaddy.com
I did an exercise and found that when we use Architectural columns, ceiling can't be placed automatically. If we use structural column, it works fine. I always suggest to people to use structural columns. Use of architectural columns makes a lots of difference is structural calculations also.
CADdaddy.com
Message 5 of 6 (404 Views)

07-03-2009 02:22 PM in reply to: CADdaddy.com
Wow....you would think that would be JUST the opposite!

Thanks for all the replies...

James
Contributor
adafchik
Message 6 of 6 (306 Views)

Re: Ceiling won't automatically place with column cover in wall Now in 2011

02-03-2011 06:50 AM in reply to: CADdaddy.com

I am using Revit 2011.  My Structural columns are set to "room bounding" and are attached floor to floor at each end.  However, I have a huge project in which the ceilings refuse to "read" the structural concrete columns.  Any ideas?  I tried creating new families to make sure it was definitely a structural element.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube