Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot place Radial dimensions in Sections derived from East/West elevations

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
kmiller
1414 Views, 12 Replies

Cannot place Radial dimensions in Sections derived from East/West elevations

Hi there,

We have an issue here where a user has N/S/E/W elevations of a building or radial type layout.  Then there are sections derived from these elevations.  If you open up the section pointing north and south you can place radial dimensions on the view needed.  If you go into the section pointing east/west you cannot.  It starts the command, just doesn't allow you to pick anything.  I will post a sample file in a sec.  Anyone else have this same problem? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
kmiller
in reply to: kmiller

The RVT file was too big to be loaded.  Please contact me at kmiller@coldspringgranite.com if you would like the sample files for this issue to review.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 13
kmiller

Alright just some added notes, this is also the case on the East and West elevations as well.  Not just sections.

Message 4 of 13
kmiller

Just confirmed - still an issue in 2013.  Anyone have this problem or found a fix???  Will still keep looking. 

Message 5 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

If the building is radial in plan, what are the radial dimensions in sections for? An image would help.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 13
kmiller

Well, the plan isn't radial.  We make families for stone panels that may be modeled to be placed on a building.  Within these panels we may have a radial hole cutout.  You cannot place a radial dimension to call out the diameter of the hole through the face of the piece on an east or west elevation.  You can on a north and south elevation.  I can dig up an image if you think that would be of better help. 

Message 7 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

Oh, the original post mentions "a building or radial type layout". That's why I thought it was a radial plan. It sounds that there should be a solution. Yes, an image would help. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 13
kmiller

Alright,

This is a family that has a void extrution in it, which is the hole cutout.  The same family placed in plan view (x4) and then rotated to show the face at each elevation.  North and South Work, East and West do not. 

My appologies on the rest of the post.  It was done a long time back and that situation was probably different than this one.  But resulting the same.  It just came about with our Revit Team again, so since I had 2013 on my system I wanted to try and give it a shot to see if the issue was resolved.  It was not.  So I decided to try to post again.  And thankfully I got a reply.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

Does the issue happen with this family, only?

Message 10 of 13

OK, but the solution is simple. Open the family, and add reference lines (arcs) locked to the void. Load into project. That will help Revit find a reference to create a radial or diameter dimension for the void in any orthogonal view.

Another reason to always make a skeleton of references in the family before creating any geometry.

radial_dim_arc.jpg

Message 11 of 13
kmiller

Playing with it a little bit I think it might be the way our family is created.  We placed a hole through just a general wall and it dimensioned. 

If I email you the family would you be whilling to look at it for us? 

Would need your email address though.  You can email me at kmiller@coldspringgranite.com if you wish.

Message 12 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

I wonder if you read my previous post, with the illustration.

Message 13 of 13
kmiller

Read it after I posted. 

I think that is the route we will have to go.  I appreciate the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report