Revit Architecture

surfcrazy
Message 1 of 12 (578 Views)

Can't paste these elements at this height because ...

578 Views, 11 Replies
12-21-2011 03:02 AM

Hello

A problem occurs when I want to 'transfer project Standards'.

When I choose the 'view templates' from one drawing and try to transfer them to the next there is an error:

'Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.'

I've tried a lot of different things but none gave a solution.

Also it looks like there is not an answer to be found on the net for this problem.

We've discussed it on another forum without result.

Hopefully Autodesk can clear the problem and give us a solution.

Other discussion on the net:

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/873-transfer-project-standards-error-...

Thank you

Contributor
ShawnGlerum5940
Message 2 of 12 (472 Views)

Re: Can't paste these elements at this height because ...

04-10-2012 11:03 AM in reply to: surfcrazy

We have run into this issue now. I hope there is a resolution soon.

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 3 of 12 (465 Views)

04-10-2012 11:50 AM in reply to: surfcrazy

Please tell me exactly what you mean, (in detail), with this

statement:

"from one drawing and try to transfer them to the next"

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 4 of 12 (459 Views)

04-10-2012 12:11 PM in reply to: surfcrazy

It sounds like when trying to use Transfer Project Standards from one Project to another, or from a Template(.rte) to a Project, the two files do not have the same Levels in them, and Revit is getting confused.

Try making the Levels identical in both, and then use TPS.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 5 of 12 (452 Views)

04-10-2012 12:24 PM in reply to: surfcrazy

Are we talking about Revit 2013?

Contributor
ShawnGlerum5940
Message 6 of 12 (448 Views)

04-10-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: ccollins

I appreciate the comment; however, it seems backwards to have to change my levels to get a view template to transfer. View templates are based on Associated Level, Level Below and Unlimited. Not, First Floor, Ground Floor, Roof, etc.

The intent of Transfer Project Standards -> View Templates seems rather purposeful on Autodesk's part. I am asking this facetiously: Shouldn't the template transfer irregardless of the levels or any other model element in the project? These are visiblity settings not model settings.

I know, I am trying to be logical, but shouldn't this be a rather straightforward?

To be specific, when Transfer Project Standards -> View Templates is chosen an error message that says:

Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.

Pops up. The error is an error that cannot be ignored and must be canceled out of in order to continue.

There are a number of people who have posted about this on other sites so it is not limited to the two of us posting on this issue.

I just tried it in reverse from the two project I was using and it worked. If I figure out the difference between the two model files, I will post my solution.

Contributor
ShawnGlerum5940
Message 7 of 12 (447 Views)

04-10-2012 12:33 PM in reply to: vector2

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 8 of 12 (434 Views)

04-10-2012 01:13 PM in reply to: ShawnGlerum5940

Yep--I agree, it does not seem "logical". However, I'm just trying to solve the problem, and perhaps the fact that there is no "Level Below" to reference is a critical part of how View Templates work, as they do control View Depth settings

and need a "datum" to reference.

Let us know what you find out in your testing.

View Templates have been revamped a bit in 2013, so perhaps the problem has been resolved?

I have not seen this error message when using TPS in either 2012 or 2013 yet.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
PhilipVandenbussche
Message 9 of 12 (420 Views)

04-11-2012 12:15 AM in reply to: surfcrazy

My post on Revit Forum could maybe explane it more clearly:

Hello fellow Revit users
I have, for the first time, the same problem. (REVIT 2012, 32 bits)
1) I've changed the standard settings of a view template in drawing "A" that was started from my "drawing template".
2) I tried to transfer the changed view template to my new drawing, drawing "B". -> first from drawing A - error message:" Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference."
3) Then I transferred the changed template in drawing "A" to my "drawing template", no problem.
4) Trying to transfer the view templates from the "drawing template" to drawing "B" -> Same error: “Can’t paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference."
So the problem lies with the new drawing.
This is the only post on, the net where  “Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.” is mentioned. Annyone have found a solution by now? (Previous solution above doesn't work for my either)
Something in Revit error messages that really works on my nerves is that they just say:” It doesn’t work.” They NEVER say why it doesn’t work! :-s
Grtz Philip
Contributor
ShawnGlerum5940
Message 10 of 12 (410 Views)

04-11-2012 05:58 AM in reply to: PhilipVandenbussche

@Philip

Sounds like we are having similar issues. Works from one project to another but not always vice-versa.

I can't pin down what the difference would be between the two projects I have. There must be something unique to the one that is no allowing the transfer.

Back to the hunt...

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube