Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open files hosted on OS X Lion Server

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
blakemiddleton
2669 Views, 12 Replies

Can't open files hosted on OS X Lion Server

I just upgraded the server for our small firm to OS X Lion.  The share is accessible from Windows and all permissions are the same as they were before the upgrade.  I can manipulate and open files in other programs in Windows, but everytime I try to open a .rvt or .rfa file in Revit from the server I get "Failed to open document".  I can open .dwg files fine in Autocad, and I can even insert .dwg and images from the server into an open revit file.  This is driving us crazy!  See specs below:

RAC 2011

File Server:  Mac Pro running OS X 10.7.1

Windows 7 running in Parallels desktop

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barend
in reply to: blakemiddleton

I'm having the same issue, but with 3ds Max Design.

All programs work well from Windows 7 workstations to the server, only 3ds Max can't read or write.

Message 3 of 13
than_sad
in reply to: barend

Hi, exactly same problem with 3D Studio max 2012 in a lion hackintosh server.

Message 4 of 13
dirkmaat

Hi, having the exact same problem in 3ds max. Is there any solution yet?

Message 5 of 13
barend

I still haven't found a sollution. I heard of other people that can work and safe without a problem. also Max 2012 and lion server.....

Please let me know if anyone get a solution, this is really very frustrating!

Message 6 of 13
dirkmaat

Hi Barend, It's EXTREMELY frustrating. I can't even save 3DS max files on the server as they say that they will be corrupted... how weird is that. 
The only work-around for now is to put the file that needs to opened on the Win7 computer, work from there and then put it back once finished. But that is NOT the idea of having a 'server'...

If you might find a solution, please let me know as well !!! 

Message 7 of 13
GPR_MN
in reply to: dirkmaat

In the same boat here,.. I can open .pdf , .jpg files from the Lion Server on my local machine, but if I attempt to open any .rfa or .rvt , by any path by the way (mapped Network Connection or run cmd > 10.0.xx.xx) it gives me the 'failed to open file' error with no code.

attaching Journal snip for latest attempt.

Jrn.Command "ContextMenu" , "Open an existing project , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
  'H 06-Dec-2011 16:31:47.515;   0:<
  Jrn.Data "File Name"  _
          , "IDOK", "P:\Projects\11054 Icehouse\CAD\Revit\2528 Nicollet.rvt"
  'H 06-Dec-2011 16:31:47.515;   0:<
  Jrn.Data "WorksetConfig"  _
          , "Custom", 0
  ' 1:<   System (MB) [Available /  Total ]  [Revit Memory Usage (MB)   ]
  ' 1:< RAM Statistics:     2037 /     2815       431=InUse      433=Peak  
  ' 1:< VM  Statistics:     1051 /     2047       367=InUse      370=Peak  
  'C 06-Dec-2011 16:31:47.546;   2:< File: Open
  ' 3:< Connecting session [$ea53166a] to Worksharing Log [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011\Journals\journal.0261.txt]
  '  0.000020      4:<<<WorksharingLog::getSlog []
  '  0.014487----- 4:<<acquireFileLock
  'C 06-Dec-2011 16:31:47.578;   5:< Load exception "COleException", code=0x80030005: Access Denied.
  'C 06-Dec-2011 16:31:47.578;   5:< COleServerDoc::ReportSaveLoadException
  ' 5:< TaskDialog "Failed to open document."
  'CommonButtons : Close
  'DefaultButton : Close
  '  0.000018        6:<<<Raising application event
  '  0.000029        6:<<<Raising application event
  '  0.006272        6:<<<;PERF;MISC;drawing
  ' 25.594436!!!!!!! 6:!!!BIG_GAP acquireFileLock reportSaveLoadException bSaving=no [P:\Projects\11054 Icehouse\CAD\Revit\2528 Nicollet.rvt]
  '  0.021460        6:<<<;PERF;MISC;drawing

any of that mess look like a red flag to anyone?

Message 8 of 13
revitusers

Is there already a solution?  Where having the same problem since we updated the server to OSX Lion.......

Message 9 of 13
barend

Sorry, not from my side. I don't safe my max work on the server anymore. Apple (south Africa) just don' t want to give us any support, and Autodesk say it's apples problem...... Money well wasted!
Message 10 of 13
GPR_MN

Server update 10.7.3 may have fixed this. Was able to open .rvt and .rfa files from Lion Server after update.

lost my second monitor (mini display - vga) compatibility but will consider that the sacrifical offering.

Message 11 of 13
jorks

Hi,

I am experiencing  the same problem for one of my architect studio clients. We have recently had to upgrade them to the 10.8.2 server, since the upgrade every time they try and save a Revit file onto the server it crashes the Revit application. 

The client machines are running Windows 7 SP1 with latest Revit.

I am really stuck trying to solve this issue. Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

Cheers,

James

Message 12 of 13
barend
in reply to: jorks

Hi

There is a program on the net, SMBup. Load that and it works perfectly!

I used it on lion server and now on mountain lion without a problem

Message 13 of 13
roobieroo

You can work with files on Mountain Lion Server (10.8.5) but there are some serious speed issues with Max 3ds and rendering previews for any material editor or material browser items. I ended up having to revert back to 10.6 server which works perfectly. Apple is going to move from their god awful SMBX implementation that cursed 10.7 and 10.8 server in favor of SMB2 which I'm hoping will allow us to move to a new Mac server which actually works with Max 3ds again.

If anyone had Max 3ds working well with Mountain Lion Server I'd love to know how you did it. I know that some people use SMBups but my understanding is that it doesn't play well with ACL's and Open Directory accounts which is a deal breaker for us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report