Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Line Based FamilyInstances have Z Values?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sam.z
1168 Views, 2 Replies

Can Line Based FamilyInstances have Z Values?

Hello I have a family that I made that is based off a 'Metric Generic Model line based' template.

Can a FamilyInstance of this type (Line Based) have z values? Ie, can the start point of the line/FamilyInstance be higher than the end point of the line/FamilyInstance?

If not, what template can I use that will allow me to have a line based FamilyInstance with heights (like in the below image)? I am aware I could use the 'Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces' template can achieve what I am asking but Revit always tries to auto-join these FamilyInstances with the next closest FamilyInstance by default. I know I can turn this functionality off but it would be easier to just use a template that doesn't involve this in the first place. Maybe 'Metric Structural Stiffener Line Based'? The reason why I ask is that I am programmatically creating a FamilyInstance and its Z heights are'nt working, ie, I create it with the start and end heights; 30, 50 but they have the start & end heights of zero?

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: sam.z

sam.z

Hey 🙂

Yes you can give variable offset values for the start and end point of line based families.

Create your normal parameters (Width, height) then follow these steps:

1. In an elevation view, input two ref planes with separate height, instance parameters for each (see image 1)
  2. Sketch your element in that elevation view
  3. Lock the corner points of the sketch to the ref plane intersections from step 1 (See image 2) using the Align tool then clicking the padlock (using the "TAB" key to get the end point of the lines)
  4. Finish sketch and flex parameters to check they function correctly

I’ve attached the family file as well.

Hope this helps

If you need any further explanation just say so 🙂

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 3
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: sam.z

Using Generic Model Line Based :

1. create in an Elevation View a new Reference Plane with the desired slope .
  2. Name this new created Reference Plane - let say AB.
  3. in Family - Generic Model Line Based ,take care to check the option Work Plane Based ( from Properties > Other..) -Once made the extruded shape load family into the project
  4. In Project , set Work Plane by Name to AB
  5. Component > Place a Component - draw the Line Based Family in a Floor Plane View...it will be drawn on AB Reference PLane

Image 10.png

In order to control better the xy of the bar slope I propose to use another method:

1. Make a new Generic Model Family
  2. First , draw two new Reference Planes RP1 and RP2.
  3. Then , draw a Reference Line RL 1.
  4. Align the two end points of RL 1 to point 0 and A ....Take example A : select first RP1 and then end point A-align , then select RP 2 and then end point A again and Align)
  5. In order to control A dimension of the bar draw a Reference Line - RL 2 .
  6. Control by flexing and then make an extruded shape attached to RL1 , RL2 ,
  7. Load the generic Model new created family into project

The parametric family  is in attachmet......

Image 9.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report