Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best PDF creator for Revit?

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
octavio2
80989 Views, 46 Replies

Best PDF creator for Revit?

Revisiting a previous questions that I made sometime ago about PDF creation from Revit, in which some correspondents recommended either PDF 995 and others Cute PDF, I wonder which one has been found to work better with the current version of Revit 2012.  Some time has passed, so I wonder if there is a preference now.

Has a better PDF creator been created for Revit since then? 

Also, how come that Revit being a marketing tool most of all, Autodesk has left out a native PDF creator from the program up to this point? Any chances that it might be included in the next version?

Thanks in advance.

46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
rosskirby
in reply to: octavio2

Don't bother with PDF 995.  You either have to pay for it or you get pop-up ads.  I've had mixed success with CutePDF and 64-bit systems.  I always use PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/).  It's free, and offers plenty of options, and it includes all architectural sheet-sizes.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 47
Alfredo_Medina

I use EasyPDF printer. It's $29.99, and it works great for Revit or for any other application. The address is:

http://www.pdfonline.com/easypdf/pdf-printer/download.htm

Be very cautious about all those "free pdf creators" that abound in the internet. They usually put things in your computer without your permission, in exchange for being "free".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 47
gc
Participant

I had success with the paid version of PDF995 for many years for all of the Revit versions through 2009 and maybe 2010.  I finally went with Adobe Acrobat and have not had any issues at all printing to pdf with Adobe.  i don't remeber why i switched to Adobe, there may have something that was printing as black squares and so switched.

Message 5 of 47
rosskirby
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

In all the years I've been using PDFCreator, it has never put anything on my computer that I didn't want there.  During the install, you have the option of installing a toolbar for your browser, but if you don't want it, just uncheck the box.  No need to be so paranoid.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 47
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: rosskirby

Oh, Ross, I said that because of a very bad experience I had with one of those "free" PDF creators from the internet. It changed my home page and it put a search toolbar in my browser, , it put a game program in my desktop, and it put another program to check my computer for latest drivers. All for free! Smiley Happy

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 47
rosskirby

Ha ha, nice!

Yeah, you've always gotta watch the install option with any program, paid or free.  With free programs, you get a browser toolbar and a new homepage, with paid software you get several "upgrades" and "viewers" whether you want them or not.

Just part of life in the digital age.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 47
octavio2

Thanks to all of you who responded with the feedback.

The black and white 3D of the site has some trees, and these look like stars with two planes crossed rather than smooth round trees.  I wonder if there is a way or setting that will smooth the trees so they show smooth like trees in the black and white PDF.  Also, if there is, it is OK to leave it like that without using too much space or rescources, or it is better to revert to the default?

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 47
octavio2

Thanks to all of you who responded with the feedback.

Message 10 of 47
jdagen

We spent quite a while trying out all of the free options. If you go the free rout PDF Creator is the best free option out there. It allows for batch printing though it has a few quirks - still the best free option IMHO. If you can spend the money Blue Beam is unquestionably the best for creating PDFs. We are working to switch our office from Adobe to Blue Beam. 

Message 11 of 47
cprice

I don't know if you have seen Xrev Transmit?

It does just about everything Bluebeam does, but you can set it up so you don't need to modify the settings for each project.  

It does more than just PDF's; including DWG, DXF, DGN, DWF/x, and Hard Copy (simultaneously) and also generates a customisable transmittal.

The PDF writer Xrev Transmit users is "BioPDF" which we've found to be excellent.  Used with Xrev Transmit you receive no pop-up messages, excellent PDF integrity (embeds fonts) and it names all your files to your pre-defined rules.  We also run Adobe Acrobat Standard internally and the PDF's that BioPDF/Xrev Transmit are just as good.

Xrev Transmit will also support Adobe PDF in the future.

Sorry, I hope this isn't portrayed as marketing too much.  I think its relevant to this discussion.  If the moderators disagree I'll understand if you remove this post.

Message 12 of 47
konetarchitecture
in reply to: cprice

I use Bluebeam and I am extremely disappointed with their support.  So much so, that I will not be updating my Bluebeam software when it expires.  I am very curious why Autodesk does not incorporate the ability to convert a .rvt file to a .pdf in their software.  It sure would be helpful.

Message 13 of 47
jdagen
in reply to: cprice

Really disappointing to hear this about Blue Beam, we had great hopes. They have been very good with follow-up. Why doesn't Autodesk have better support for PD'sF in Revit? Really? They are Autodesk. They only pimp their own products, aka dwf's & design review. We have far better plotting quality with PDF's and the fonts are embedded. Moreover, far more people, owners consultants etc, use PDF's.

Message 14 of 47

I retract what I had previous stated about BlueBeam.  Oddly enough, after I posted the comment regarding my dissatisfaction with the company's tech support I received a phone call with a representative!  He personally provided me with the information that I needed to complete my task at hand.  So I am now VERY impressed with the Bluebeam tech support that I have received.

Message 15 of 47
leaveAlone

Few days back I have same issue I want to buy an effective and reliable PDF software which allows to create, view, edit and convert any PDF file. After googling and testing different PDF softwares, I find top 3 best PDF softwares like Adobe Acrobat, Nitro and Classic PDF editor.

Nodoubt Acrobat is one of top best but it is comparatively too much expensive then others. So I find a software that is close to Acrobat and almost all important features of Acrobat that is classic PDF editor. It allows me to create, view, edit and convert any PDF file. There are many other cool features of classic PDF editor like spilit and merge PDF, PDF attachments, Notes, email PDF and much more...

As for as price conserness, it is one of the most low price PDF software with such an awesome features. It is also featured on CNET free downloads here.

Read more about Classic PDF editor.

Hope above information helps you. Feel free to ask any question.

Message 16 of 47
octavio2
in reply to: leaveAlone

To those correspondents who have downloaded Revit 2014 already: any word about a native PDF in the program?   The capabilities of printing, etc., to PDFs have been improved?

Message 17 of 47
joeldf

Haven't loaded 2014 yet (waiting on licensing files for network installation), but we use Bluebeam Revu in our office for all PDF editing - including shop drawing review within our project management software. However, I still use CutePDF for all PDF output from Revit or Acad - it's just easier to use, configure, name files, whatever.

In fact, I'm not sure what there is to get "better" out of PDFs now. They pretty much are what they are. I've seen no real difference in the actual file output between CutePDF, Bluebeam, or even right out of Adobe Acrobat (which I also used to use).

Although, I do remember being disappointed with the way AutoCAD saved PDFs when they added a PDF writer a few versions back.

Joel
Message 18 of 47
cprice
in reply to: joeldf

Revit 2014 offers no new built in PDF functionality.

I still recommend BioPDF or Adobe PDF. The main differences between the various distillers tend to be file size.

If you don't want to be prompted for file names, use Xrev Transmit.
Message 19 of 47
rickross96
in reply to: jdagen

We are testing PDF Creater. I have costom programinng that has to ping the print and then create other files. I have found that it has some hiccups when running it from me VB.net program. Other than that, it is not bad. I agree that DWFs are poor quality. I have been reporting a pen weight problem for 3 years and no one will fix it. (take a look  at filled arrow heads, the arrow permiter lines have no weight and the leader does so the arrow gets a nose on it).

Message 20 of 47
octavio2

Hi Alfredo, in reference to your posting regarding the EasyPDF printer (which was posted in the year 2011), is that EasyPDF printer still good or the best for Revit 2015?

If you or any body in the Newsgroup knows of another good one for Revit 2015, which would not cost much, please advise.

Thanks in advance to You and all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report