Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Questions

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
damo3
606 Views, 12 Replies

Beginner Questions

Thanks for any help All.

1. Once I apply a Custom View template I created, how do I then remove it, or set it back to previous??

2. What methods are users using to align Plans in approximately the same position on the sheet. The sheet Grid tool seems a bit... well useless as i cant snap to it...

3. In my Titleblock I would like just have a blank field I can enter text into, but there is no blank label. Suggestions??

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
vector2
in reply to: damo3

1. If you don't want the view template, just set it back to "none".

2. Views I put on a sheet always have alignment lines like the way

text aligns with other text groups. And also I set the scale of those

views to show on the sheets the size I want.

3. I would create a legend view and put text in that and then slide

that legend view onto my sheet. Set the scale you want for it of course.

Edit: Opps you mean in the titleblock not on the sheet. I'll look into that.

Edit: Well you certainly can click on the titleblock and edit the family and

type the text in the titleblock where you want it, and it will be there on all

titleblocks. I don't know it that will work for you. See the image.

Message 3 of 13
damo3
in reply to: vector2

Thanks Vector

1. tried that and nothing happens.

2. where would i find these alignment lines you mentioned or do you mean just reference planes??

Message 4 of 13
vector2

See how the second view I'm adding to the sheet gets 

automatic alignment lines? The view title is lining up 

with the view title above it.

Message 5 of 13
vector2

You tried this?

Message 6 of 13
damo3
in reply to: vector2

Vector, I should be more clear, I am not aligning to other viewports. Its a roof plan drawing taking up the whole sheet, i would like to locate it on the sheet in the same position as the floor plan before it.

unfortunately i dont have a "none" template from the OTB settings. I have just used the OTB elevations view.

cheers.

Message 7 of 13
vector2

I never seen a view template without the "none", but if

that is possible then just make a new template called

"nothing" and uncheck everything.

As for something on one sheet being the same X and Y

position as another sheet, I guess just measure it. Something

I don't know maybe.

Message 8 of 13
parveen.revit

1. go to View tab, Graphics Panel, View Templates Button/too, a new pop up window will open,

select the view template and delete it if you want to delete it from project (from all views).

Else if you just want to replace it with another template in view properties, you can do that from properties of that view. The 'none' template can't be deleted.

2. My apologies for not being with a quick and direct solution but our team has evolved a small work around, steps are

• place one view on the sheet, set it right as you desire, now deactive the view (now you are on title sheet/ drawing view.
  • draw a detail line (DT shortcut) from the intersection of a particular grid intersection (it could be the intersection of top one and the left most grid).
  • Copy this line.
  • Goto modify tab, paste aligned to selected views, in the pop window, select all other sheets of similar category (plans, elevation or sections) and paste.
  • now you can use that detail line to place view on differnt sheets and a approximate location.l
  • This workaround may not be 100% accurate but will give you desired result.

*Don't forget to delete all those detail lines from all sheets once you are done with the exercise.

3. You have to create a shared parameter which you can edit in the drawings. Sample is Drawing Number which can be edited at any stage on a single click.

your feedback on above listed suggestions is requested.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 9 of 13
loboarch

@damo3 wrote:

Thanks for any help All.

1. Once I apply a Custom View template I created, how do I then remove it, or set it back to previous??

View templates apply a preset group of settings to the view.  They are simply applied at the time you click the template after that you can make changes to any of the settings.  There is not really a way to go back to previous unless you do an undo.  You can aply a different template at any time to make changes to many settings at once.  This behavior is slightly different in 2013 in the fact a template can be "locked" to a view.  This means once the template is applied changes can NOT be made to the setting in the view template without first removing the template assignment to the view.  Are you working in 2013 or an older version?

2. What methods are users using to align Plans in approximately the same position on the sheet. The sheet Grid tool seems a bit... well useless as i cant snap to it...

You can align/snap guide grids to datum elements (levels, grids, and reference planes(I think?)) in the view.  If you set up datum lines in your project you can use those to align the views from sheet to sheet using the guide grid tool. Otherwise it is "close counts" 🙂

3. In my Titleblock I would like just have a blank field I can enter text into, but there is no blank label. Suggestions??

Place a shared parameter in the title block family that is just there to hold your custom text.  You can find a link to some videos on making titleblock families including custom shared parameters here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/Community/Tutorials/Working_with_Titleblocks_and_Sheets

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 10 of 13
damo3
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I will have a go at the suggested methods.

Message 11 of 13
damo3
in reply to: loboarch

shared parameters, fantastic! not the automation i wanted, but perhaps better. I can put it all under project information and include in the template so users can enter the data at the beginning! thanks very much.

Message 12 of 13
vector2

WOW, the "official" way to create a titleblock, with the best videos

I've ever seen, produced by Autodesk. I need to find out where

every Autodesk video is and spend plenty of time watching those.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 13
loboarch

Glad you like shard parameters.  They are very powerful.  You can use them on all type of families to keep track of almost ANY information you want.  God luck learning more about Revit.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report