Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beams and Columns with finish material

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
aalonsojaver
10401 Views, 16 Replies

Beams and Columns with finish material

What can I do if I want to add some finish material to a column or beam????

1. i tried with Paint comand but it doesn´t work.

2. For a beam its only work if I add a architectural column? and in case of beam what can I do?

3. I have to edit my family?

Thanks !!!! 

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: aalonsojaver

You should be able to change the finish material by modifying the Material under Materials and Finishes in the Properties Palette.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 17
aalonsojaver

Thanks for the answer

I did not explain myself

I want to have two differents materials in one column or beam: the material for the structure, example Concrete, and a finish material, like paint.

I need something like the material of the wall where you can add some layers to one wall.

Message 4 of 17
Chris.Aquino

Thank you for the update.

The only way we have found to do what you are trying to do, would be to add the layer manually in the family.

We understand that this may not be the preferred workflow, but we have not found a better way.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 5 of 17
aalonsojaver

Okey, Thank you !

Message 6 of 17

Revit has been around for more than a Decade now. Users across the world have been struggling with issues as simple as adding a finish material to a column or a Beam. That's so weird and insensitive on the part of the software developers. Ideally a software meant to facilitate architects should make their work easier rather than difficult. What baffles me is the fact that each element in Revit has its own pros and cons. Its like you need to master a family type to be able to work with it. Rather the workflow should be like any kind of element be it, the way of working should be same so that fusing elements, joining layers, etc. becomes simpler and smoother.

When are developers going to pay heed to these issues.

Message 7 of 17
spanda57
in reply to: akshay.korlekar

Preach.

Message 8 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: spanda57

Add a Material parameter in the family and paint the surface of the member with it.

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNGCapture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 9 of 17
Seychellian
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi, thanks for this explanation. It seems the most pertinent answer to the original question. 

Sorry to be pain but could you possibly explain the process of adding "a Material parameter in the family and paint the surface of the member with it" for us Revit novices?

Also is there a reason why the columns and beams do not have this property as a default? It seems logical to me that everyone would want to construct their models to show their structure with the appropriate finish. Having to do this "work around" to the default families in order to achieve that seems illogical to me. 

Message 10 of 17
ToanDN

Create a new family parameter, name it "Finish" and choose Material from the list of available parameter types. The rest is explained via the screenshots above.
Message 11 of 17
Seychellian

Thanks ToanDN,

Ill try this in the morning. One thing though, will this show as an assembly item with a thickness in plan/section or is it only a cosmetic solution and the beam/column will read as only RC?

Message 12 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: Seychellian

It is just Paint on surfaces, no physical layer.

Message 13 of 17
Corsten.Au

Hi

You can add layers ( Finish ) in colour family.

( Architectural Column, or Structural Column family ) 

So that Structural Cross section remains intact, and finish layer is different.

give a custom material and edit it in the project.

I have attached two families for your reference.

Cheers!

Column with finish.JPGColumn with finish 1.JPG

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 14 of 17
Seychellian
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Thanks for this Ganesh. I will give this a go and see how it joins with my floors.

You don't by any chance have a similar family for structural beams do you?

Message 15 of 17
asf.arq

Hello,

I came to this thread for the same issue plus one: adding wall sweeps (skirting boards) to finished walls and columns. The tricky part of my issue is that the column is slightly thicker than the finished wall. So I've found an alternate workaround: creating a finish wall type that consists only of a structural element equivalent to the finishing elemnts of its neighboor walls (in this case, cement/sand screed). See the following images:

Initial situationInitial situation

Adding "Finishing Wall" type over columnAdding "Finishing Wall" type over column

Adding wall sweepsAdding wall sweeps

I haven't tried this for beams, though. It could work on the sides, but not on tops and bottoms... Ganesh's beam families should work better in this case.

Happy modeling!

Message 16 of 17
rnorrish

The edit family and add finish parameter method works great for simple paint or texture finishes. I use a shared a parameter so i can schedule these.( I also create a parametric void around my columns to cut walls properly, great for glazing.)

Where it falls down is if you need to do something like a concrete  off form pattern. For some strange reason, I can't get the patterns to align of beams and columns properly like you can on walls & floors. Beams left and right alignment is OK but not vertical, same with columns. It seems that its linked to the image assigned & I can only assume snapped to the sweep setout point (being centre of beam/col) If anyone has a workaround for this I'd love to hear about it!

cheers

Richard

Message 17 of 17
dat.phung

It had an issue that columns lost cut pattern after joining geometry or in some cases it shows the cut pattern of painted material. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report