Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam System vs. connecting wood trusses to roof deck

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bill
2491 Views, 4 Replies

Beam System vs. connecting wood trusses to roof deck

Can anyone tell us how to connect wood trusses to the roof? We can create a beam system with a wx girder beam and wx beams perpendicular to the girder beam. When we add various slopes to the roof deck, the wx system is attached to and follows all of the roof height adjustments. However, we cannot figure out how to get wood trusses to act the same way and attach to/follow adjusted roof heights. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bill
in reply to: bill

I would also like to know how this is done! I can create a plane, insert a girder, and if follows the height below the roof deck (reference plane). However, I cannot figure our how to get a wood truss (purlin) to attach to the same reference plan and follow the slope of the roof. The only thing I can associate it with is a level. I cannot figure out how to slope the truss or assign different heights at each end. Please advise.

Message 3 of 5
Alfredo_Medina

About roofs and beam systems, follow this logic: If A is aligned to B and B is aligned to C, then A is aligned to C. 

If the slope of A (the roof) changes, the slope of the other two systems, B (girders) and C (trusses), will change accordingly.

See illustration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 5
bill
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello Alfredo,

Yes, I've seen this solution before. It works great when installing girder beams or I beams in Revit 2009. However, when I try to do the same with wood trusses, they automatically attach themselves to a level, not a work plane. Also, once in the model, you cannot adjust the heights at the ends of the truss, so it remains horizontal. Have you tried installing sloped trusses?

Message 5 of 5
Alfredo_Medina

@BIll wrote:

.... Have you tried installing sloped trusses?

Yes, from a 3d view, use Work plane > Set and select the sloped bottom face of the roof. Now use the cube to get a floor plan view. Insert the truss. Then adjust the truss´s instance properties for bottom, top, offset, etc.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report