Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam Joins

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Mark
6161 Views, 11 Replies

Beam Joins

I'm using REVIT Architecture 2011 and having problems with beams automatically joining. I am wondering how do you simply stop them from joining to each other? I have situations where i'd like to butt one into another or overlap them slightly but it will not let me do this. I'd like to be able to draw in a beam and have it stop where i stop it. Any solutions?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
LisaDrago
in reply to: Mark

Have you tried to disallow join? when you select a beam at the end there is a blue grip - right clic on it and it will give you a shortcut menu - click the dissalow join.

See what that gives you - i have an image attached for reference.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 12
Mark

There is no option to do disallow join.

Message 4 of 12
LisaDrago

So when you select it you don't have grips at the end?

can you post an image of it?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 12
Mark
in reply to: LisaDrago

Yes, there are grips, but right clicking on it does not bring up any option to disallow join.

Message 6 of 12
LisaDrago

Have you tried to right click the grip in plan view... i can't get the same menu in a 3d view?

LD

Message 7 of 12
Mark

Yes, have tried in plan view too, it still has no option to disallow join. Should there be an option there? How is it possible for it not to be there if it is a default? Could the revit software be the issue? Does the family need to be modified in some way? This particular beam is standard revit content from the metric library.

Message 8 of 12
Mark

So no solution??? I would like to be able to fix this asap.

Message 9 of 12
ccollins

Take a look at the Start Extension under the Beam Properties.

see attached.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 10 of 12
Mark

I have no option for extension distances either

Message 11 of 12
SPM_Markham

In the Properties of the beam under Construction; set the Start or End Offset (Depending on what end of the beam is touching the other end; ie. Start to Start or Start to End) to be the distance you want the beams to be apart. Initially have the "Drag Structural Framing Component " dot to be the same as the other beam. This will join the two beams. Then set your offset and the beams will still be "joined" if you were to right click and select "Select Joined Elements" but graphically it shows them separate. Even with bar joists, the bottom cords do not graphically stay joined.

Message 12 of 12
melodymeek

I've had this same problem many times - and I finally figured out a fix. I know this is an old thread, but hopefully this can help someone else. 

I was modeling an angle mounted to the bottom of an existing precast beam, bracing the top of a column. See below - 

Capture.JPG

However, when i placed the ends of the beam where I wanted them, the beam automatically joined to the precast and most of it disappeared. When it did this the option for start extension grayed out. I also did not get any options to disallow join in any view (I don't think that option exists for beams, though I'd love to be proven wrong there)

Capture.JPG

Solution - I placed the ends of my brace beam where they were not touching the adjacent beam. Then I adjusted the start extension to go under the precast. Works perfectly, and stops trying to fix itself away from where I want it. 

Capture.JPG

Hopefully they'll give us a universal disallow join option that always shows up - until then, this could fix most of the issues I run into with beams. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report