Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baseplate for Glulam Columns

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5836 Views, 4 Replies

Baseplate for Glulam Columns

This may be better suited to the structural forum - I'm not sure.

We are using glulam columns and beams on a project that is also a pilot project for our structural engineer.

What is the best way of dealing with column bases and connections ? It's something I've not looked into before, but I need to do help our engineer to setup the various columns and bases.

Ideally we would want an inverted steel 'T' with the upstand sandwiched between 2 glulam columns, preferrably with the bolts cutting a recess into the column so that they appear in the render (the interior will need a fairly realistic render).

I've tried the structural steel connections add in - but it applies only to steel, it doesn't want to play ball with the glulam.

Is there a way of creating a baseplate family, and inserting it into the column family (possibly with a "Family Type" parameter to switch between alternatives) ?

If I want to create a new family for the base plate, upstand and bolts (with a void extrusion to cut the columns to allow bolts to be recessed) - what family template should I use ? Is it better for me (the architect) to create a family that simply looks right, and leave it to the structural engineer to place the more specifically structural family (so that is schedules as part of the structural model). Not sure I'm describing that particularly well - hopefully you get what I mean.

Thanks

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

why not making some families with shared parameters ( in order to be allowed to appear in schedule ) for the steel elements and insert them into another Family - wooden column . Made them exactly as is done in real life....

I've made something like this for one of my small projects ... it's true I have only a consulting with the engineer....

Image 01.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thanks Constantin, modelled the base plate as a generic family, and inserted it into the column family along with bolts. For some reason I thought there may have been a different approach to dealing with a structural element as a base plate (ie to define a base plate with specific analytical properties) etc.

Anyway, got this glulam column working (pic attached) - so many thanks for the suggestion.

Martin

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Could you please help me design something like that? I want a glulam column with steel plates as that as well as bolts!!

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi I was hoping I could find the texture you have used for the glulam beam - any help much appreciated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report