Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad like trimming

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rock9
2520 Views, 10 Replies

Autocad like trimming

Is it possible to do trimming like autocad? Like a line is intersected by two lines on either side. If I click in the middle, this portion gets deleted?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: rock9

I have noticed that you are asking many questions in the same style, trying to find in Revit the tools that you had in AutoCAD. Some tools are there, some others are are not, and that is true in both directions.

However,if you want to learn Revit quickly you need to forget about the CAD paradigma. Look at one of Lisa Drago's posts in this forum, and look at her signature. It says: "You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit". That's very true.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
loboarch

The is not a tool that does this in Revit.  You can use the "split" tool with the "delete inner segment" checkbox turned on.  This will remove the inner portion as you select the splitting edges.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 11
falconbird
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

I understand about to not use AutoCAD as a base.

If I have a concrete wall that is 12" wide and then a concrete shelf that is 5 1/2" wide on top of the 12" concrete wall. How do I delete the line that intersect the 12" and 5 1/2" walls? Attached is a RVT file of this issue.

Message 5 of 11
SteveKStafford
in reply to: falconbird

Modify ribbon tab > Geometry panel > Join Geometry: Select each wall. When the materials of two joined elements are the same Revit will remove the line between them. If they are different materials then it will change the heavier line (Cut) for a lighter line (Projection), assuming viewing them in a section view The view's Detail Level setting will also affect the appearance; changing from Coarse to Medium will use the Material cut pattern instead of the Coarse Scale Fill Pattern assigned to the wall types.

You'll need to use Join Geometry on all four walls of your foundation to get the lines to clean up completely as the walls in the distance will affect the appearance.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 6 of 11
sabra.tarek

i always had the same question

is it possible to write a script in python to make a tool that trims like in Autocad ?

Message 7 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: sabra.tarek

Use the existing trim easier

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 11
sabra.tarek
in reply to: RDAOU

cac.jpg

 thank you for your reply ; can the existing trim option trim the lines in the attached photo in 2 clicks just like the classic autocad do ? i am trying to figure out how can i do this quickly but couldnt get any results 

Message 9 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: sabra.tarek

@sabra.tarek 

Look on the dynamo forum....there is something close which you can start from. Look for the topic Spliting beams and deleting segments using a crossing window or along a curve.

If you can code a  it i am sure you can modify to suit your needs...won't e exactly the same as Autocad but will reduce the operation to 2 or 3 clicks 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 10 of 11
HVAC-Novice

Do yourself a favor and and don't try to emulate AutoCAD. Revit is standalone software Autodesk purchased at some point, it has nothing to do with AutoCAD except being owned by the same company. 

And as for asking about features and how they work, tell us what the objective is and there may be a way to do it in Revit efficiently. What is it that you want to do beyond lines? No one needs lines, but it looks like you try to have rooms of some sort. So the question may be better answered for how to create rooms and so on. 

I'm not quite sure I can interpret the pictures you posted. But Revit has tools like area plans and walls, rooms to design. Just "lines" aren't really used. It isn't a "drafting" software. Like a wall is actually a 3D wall, and not just two parallel lines. And the wall can have a lot of functionality typical for walls. 

Good luck and keep asking. 

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 11 of 11
pliuB4YBY
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

useless

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report