Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 3D solids to Revit Family

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
archlatham
9023 Views, 3 Replies

Autocad 3D solids to Revit Family

I have a .dwg file of a chair made frpm 3D solids from a manufacturer thaI want to use in my Revit model. When I import it into a Revit family, it comes in as a single entity that can not have different materials assigned to the different parts of the chair. 

WIth some investigation, it seems that I can possilby use Inventor, loading the .dwg file into Inventor and then export as a .adsk flie and then import the .adsk file into a Revit family.  I do not have Inventor but read something about Inventor Fusion being a part of my Autocad.  I have the Building Design Suite on subscription but can not find the Inventor Fusion in my Autocad program. ( I could not find anything about being able to export .adsk files from the Fusion program.)

I would appreciate any feedback on this before I try to download Inventor or if there is a simpler way of doing this,

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: archlatham

You should be able to control the materials if the parts of the chair are on different layers.

Go to Manage > Object Styles > Imported Objects. From here you can assign materials to the different layers.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 4
archlatham
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thank you, that is what I needed.

Message 4 of 4
narlee
in reply to: archlatham

Chris,

I had a chair in 3ds, which I ungrouped the parts, made it into an editable mesh (maybe I shouldn't have), exported to .dwg, assigned the parts to layers, tried to convert them to solids (failed because meshes "didn't close and/or intersected").

TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, to be nice about it, that ADesk hasn't figured out a way to get good objects into Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report