Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto nested family selection for lintel types ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
770 Views, 3 Replies

Auto nested family selection for lintel types ?

In a window family, is it possible to call for a nested element to be determined automatically, and for that family to be schedulable ?

In my case, I have a window type, that is arrayed so that it can adapt to suit openings that can vary considerably in size.

I would like the lintel selection to be determined automatically by the size of the opening - selecting a specific lintel type from within a common type based on the overall span. The lintel in question will vary in it's specification, it is not merely a size.

ie. Windows

<1200mm - use Lintel Type A1 (100mm deep)

1200mm - 1800 use lintel Type A2 (215mm deep)

1800 - 2400mm use lintel Type A3

2400 - 3600mm use lintel Type A4

>3600mm use lintel Type B1 (different construction type altogether)

Ideally these should then be identified in the window schedule - identifying lintel type and length (length = window opening +150mm bearing at each end).

It may be quite a bit of work in getting this systme working, but we have a scheme with 250+ windows, and a further 3-4 buildings that will be using the exact same types - running to 1000+ windows in total. So to get this working would be a great time-saver.

Thanks

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, it's possible. You need to create several family type parameters, and control them by formulas, using IF statements. The nested family should be shared, and their lengths should be shared instance parameters.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Many thanks Alfredo, I've done something similar with instances and shared the parameters to allow them to be determined in the host family.

Can you call a completely different family in to switch the lintels ?

We will need probably 3 distinct lintel types:

A concrete lintel (with varying heights => a few different instances)

A steel prefabricated lintel (again a couple of instances)

A steel beam / prefabricated composite.

Each will have a few instances to control the variations - and each type will be used within a certain range of opening sizes.

Thanks

Martin

Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, as I said, it is possible with family type parameters.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report