Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array parameter not working when imported into project

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
776 Views, 7 Replies

Array parameter not working when imported into project

Hello,

Thanks in advance for all the help for what are potentially very elementary questions.

I have a seimple line-based family with array that distributes "couplers" depending on the total length.

Question 1: When this family is inserted into the project, the array does not work. In other words, you can stretch the family, but is still the variation of the family when it was saved. How can the array work properly in the project?

Question 2: Is there a way to omit (not just visibly turn off) the first and last pieces of the array? 

Question 3: Is there a way to tell the family not to array anything when "Max Length" is not exceeeded? Not just thru visibility turn on/off.

Thank you very much.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

For points 1 and 2 see the two attached files:

1. Assembly-a.rfa
  2. Assembly-b.rfa

I verified them into a project and for me it worked. I work in metric , so I tranformed you file in order to can contol it....

Verfy them into you Project file

As for point 3 , I am sure it can be done using a conditional formula...I'll try it in the afernoon....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thank you very much for the help. Is there a way you could save it as a 2013 Revit file? Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
constantin.stroescu

I send you two print screen with the settings,because I have an installed  the 2013 version in order to make space on my HDD.....

let me know if you can manage with these...

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

It's all very clear. Thank you.

Going back to my original question... the offset method from the ends only work if the array number is at least 2 (just like any array). If maximum length was 10', and the length needs to be 20' for the array to work. If the length is less than 20', it should idealy place one coupler in the middle. I am assuming at this point that the array method will not work for this application? Please take a look at the updated family file. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
constantin.stroescu

First , beside the array group made before, insert another coupler in the middle of the segment and lock it to the reference plane placed there. 

Then, made two new visibility parameters VIS1 and VIS 2 , the first for the array group (in edit group mode ),the second for the single coupler.

Then , in Family types introduce the Formulas:

• VIS 1  = Length>Max Length
  • VIS 2  = Length>Max Length

Load the family into the Project. Streching the bar , if under Max Length will show one coupler, if longer the Max Length will show the compete array...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Just as a follow up:

The visibility method turns out to be the way to do it, as I was able to confirm that turned-off objects do not get tallied in schedules. Having the two coupler conditions caused problems though, when the couplers started overlapping due to short length. I made two sub families: "Coupler - Single" for one coupler condition, and "Coupler - Multiple" for multiple coupler conditions. Max Length value is associated, and fed in frmo the assembly family down into the sub-"Coupler" families.

1. All couplers turned off when, Length < Max Length

2. "Coupler - Single" only turns on when, Max Length < Length AND Length < Max Length * 2

3. "Coupler - Multiple" only turns on when, Max Length * 2 < Length

Thanks again for the help! See attached file for your reference.

Message 8 of 8
constantin.stroescu

congratulation for your development !

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report