Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area boundaries - multiple styles?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Keith_Wilkinson
9110 Views, 11 Replies

Area boundaries - multiple styles?

Hi,

Is there a way to have more than one area boundary style within an area plan?  I would have thought this was a fairly basic requirement but yet I can find no obvious way of doing it.  I just want the boundary line to be visually in keeping with the area which it encloses...

Any thoughts?

cheers

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

To my knowledge: no you can't. 

What I do in such cases: 

• only an outline is visually needed: 
    detail line > pick lines > hover over boundary line > hit tab > place
  • the area fill is also needed but with an offset from the actual boundary
    filled region > pick lines > set offset > hover over boundary line > hit tab > place

But this is a finishing touch and requires a manual check before being shared.

love python coding
Message 3 of 12

Would it not be simpler to just make the boundary line black? Rather than fuf around.

The reason it is only one colour is so that, regardless where it is, it can be distinguished as an open area boundary and NOT a wall. Multiple colours lines will make it look silly

If you were to make the colour match the area it encloses, it would only match one of the areas, the one next to it will be a diff colour, so does not work very well.

If you really need to:

You can always select > right click > Override graphics in view > by element > projection lines > then change the properties as you wish.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 4 of 12

Alas, not in this instance, no.  I'm using an Area Plan for fire compartmentation and I have different levels of fire compartment - so basically I need 3+ colours of perimeter line which tally with the colour of the hatch I 'm using. 

However override graphics might be an option.

*edit* yes, override graphics would provide a workaround.  Not 100% what I'm after but workable.  Thanks.  🙂

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 5 of 12

Keith,

if it's the full perimeter you want to change (color, linestyle). Perhaps you can make a filter for it.

filter: "fire_A" > red line, dotted (for example area name contains 60min)

filter: "fire_B" > green line, solid

etc

Gives you more control of usage (esp. for multiple levels etc).

love python coding
Message 6 of 12

I use the following method:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/9b0b55df-70d3-4799-a7d3-815725708432

but I don't know if this will be usefull for you too...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 12

I have tried the idea of a filter but I can't get it to work.  It works fine for the fill just not the lines...

Maimonides
Message 8 of 12

Keith,

Check this screencast http://screencast.com/t/kaKpUW7CbF I made.

Does this help you?

love python coding
Message 9 of 12

hmm.... this is very odd.  that is exactly what I've done and yet the line colour and style hasn't changed...

*edit* let me correct that, that's *almost* exactly what I did - except for the interior fill bit!

This is now looking much more promising.

*edit* yes, I think this will work.  Many thanks one and all for your input, it has helped greatly.

Maimonides
Message 10 of 12

you have a kudo from me.....I've made the same steps as you did but I did not checked Interior Fill , considering it irrelevant for border..... It was relevant....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

Thnx Constantin.

love python coding
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Joris.vd.Meulen

If you only need perimeter lines I presume you can simply adjust the fill transparency (one row below projection lines) like in Constantines video

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report