Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
s1623jn26
Message 1 of 9 (367 Views)

Architectural column volume

367 Views, 8 Replies
04-12-2012 03:40 AM

Hi all,

Is anybody know how to calculate Column quantity and gross volume.

Reghards

wahid

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 9 (328 Views)

Re: Architectural column volume

04-22-2012 08:45 AM in reply to: s1623jn26

Interesting question, since "architectural colum" is not a category that can be scheduled. One solution is to open the architectural column family and change its category. For example if you change it to "casework", then, in the project, you could create a schedule of casewor elements, filtered, to show only your architectural columns. The schedule will give you the quantity. In regards to the volume, you need to create a calculated value in the schedule: "volume", to multiply width * depth * height.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
parveen.revit
Message 3 of 9 (315 Views)

04-22-2012 09:57 PM in reply to: s1623jn26

you can calculate quantity of Architectual column by multi category schedule.

For Material take off you can use multi category material take off.

You may require to do some sorting/filtering to reach desired result (to remove all other elements and to keep only architectural column) in those schedule and material take off.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 9 (308 Views)

04-23-2012 03:23 AM in reply to: parveen.revit

That's true. It can be scheduled by multi-category schedule. The good news is that the category can remain the same, to obtain the quantity of columns. The bad news is that the width, depth, and height parameters will not be listed in that kind of schedule, to obtain the volume, and those parameters will need to be created. Therefore, there are 2 choices of solution. It depends on the circumstances, which method suits the needs better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
parveen.revit
Message 5 of 9 (289 Views)

04-24-2012 10:06 PM in reply to: s1623jn26

dear  s1623jn26,

your feedback shall be appreicated.

lashmail
Message 6 of 9 (246 Views)

07-30-2012 03:14 AM in reply to: parveen.revit

This may be a daft question, but why would you model with architectural columns if they can't be used beyond architectural documentation?

Isn't it better to use columns which can then be sent onwards to the engineer or used in quantity-takeoff? Or isn't it better to wait for the engineer to finish their model then import that information (which is accurate ) into your model? 

I realise that architectural models have special material properties but I just wonder if that's a high price to pay for not allowing information to flow between consultants (unless I'm mistaken!) :smileyhappy:

Mentor
parveen.revit
Message 7 of 9 (242 Views)

07-30-2012 04:00 AM in reply to: lashmail

different project, different offices works differently. some has everything under one roof, others may have scattered designers in different offices.

so it all depends on the way the project is being designed.

lashnz
Message 8 of 9 (236 Views)

07-30-2012 04:57 AM in reply to: parveen.revit

..sorry - I'm also lashmail but I just found my 'old' Autodesk login.

I suspect that Revits intention or product development direction is that architectural column should be regarded as 'non-structural' in which case it wouldn't feature in an information exchange with the structural engineer and would only be counted per unit.

The OP asked a good question, in that it highlights perhaps, what would be better practice - ie an object that can't be quantified but needs to be, is just maybe, the wrong object to use. Better to use a standard column (?) which has a much wider life beyond the immediate use (ie the information can then be passed on) - and then use work-arounds to make it work in your immediate documentation (ie achieving material matching with the wall that it connects too etc)

Contributor
bahardman1
Message 9 of 9 (216 Views)

07-31-2012 04:16 PM in reply to: s1623jn26

Is'nt the volume calculated by pie r squared h?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube