Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply lock the Revit file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
GHASEM_ARIYANI
3360 Views, 7 Replies

Apply lock the Revit file

hi

Is it possible Apply on the lock file Not open to other systems?

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MKFreiert
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

native to revit, no.
you could set the file to be read only on your computer/server with permissions for the person allowed to edit it. this would prevent unauthorized changes to it, but allow it to be read.

if you want no one else to have access to it, that's more of a computer security question.
Message 3 of 8

wish there was a lock because sometimes, we need to share the file with others which can cause the work to be done completely without any effort by someone else. So i believe that autodesk should put some new features at least on the next releases.

Deniz
Message 4 of 8

Yes true. But the idea is sometimes you give, but other times you receive. It might be that you give to one person and receive something by another person.

It might even help you if they use your work. You might receive recognition or get "free" publicity.

I have been many times grateful that I did not have to design a family myself that I might need only one time or so but it get from somebody/somewhere else.

Further I see that for the more specialized families I have to use frequently I will redesign them myself anyway because I have special needs for them (e.g. parameters, categories, maerials). In those cases it might be even quicker to rebuild them myself than start analyzing how somebody else has constructed them. And as a last point many times that people start to use my work, my work/families have already developed further so that we stay ahead.

I think in the end all this sharing will only enhance the usablity of the program and allow for fast devlopement of the software.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 8
RevitByGarrett
in reply to: L.Maas

There are a few things you can do to help secure Revit content as your sending it over but NOT exactly lock them.

One of the most basic concepts is to PIN your content. This will at minimum alert end users that they are attempting to move or delete something that has been placed for a reason. Unfortunately content can be easily unpinned and edited.

Secondly and my favorite method is to create a central file environment witch enable worksets. Open the workset dialogue box an check Families, Project Standards or View in the bottom. Here you will find all content in you model you can now make now editable. The end user would have to detach from central AND discard worksets to lift this kind of change.

Again, this isn't a complete lock but does make and end user have to be pretty decent at what they do to know how to work around this. A beginner will most likely be deterred from trying to edit anything once one or both of these tactics have been used.

Message 6 of 8
RevitByGarrett
in reply to: L.Maas

There are a few things you can do to help secure Revit content as your sending it over but NOT exactly lock them.

One of the most basic concepts is to PIN your content. This will at minimum alert end users that they are attempting to move or delete something that has been placed for a reason. Unfortunately content can be easily unpinned and edited.

Secondly and my favorite method is to create a central file environment witch enable worksets. Open the workset dialogue box an check Families, Project Standards or View in the bottom. Here you will find all content in you model you can now make now editable. The end user would have to detach from central AND discard worksets to lift this kind of change.

Again, this isn't a complete lock but does make and end user have to be pretty decent at what they do to know how to work around this. A beginner will most likely be deterred from trying to edit anything once one or both of these tactics have been used.

Message 7 of 8

Sharing is caring.
Message 8 of 8
casquatch
in reply to: ToanDN

I posted a Revit Idea about this a while back. It would be nice to share the files with some restrictions. Similar to signing a PDF.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/digital-signature-on-revit-files/idi-p/6434000

Figured I'd share and maybe gain more support 🙂 I think it is something that people would utilize (or this forum post wouldn't exist).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report