Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angular Facade, how would you go about it?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nPoika
1448 Views, 4 Replies

Angular Facade, how would you go about it?

I have a project in which I'd like to achieve a very similar facade style as the following image: 

It's an angular facade with a permeated mesh for a finish. I need to achieve this with a 'random' appearance so that no pattern is visible in the form. Most definitely on struggle street as to the best possible workflow. Ideally this would be an aspect of the design I could change regularly without having to remodel each time. 

Kind Regards,

Nathan

P.S: I'm using Revit 2014!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I suggest to use In Place Mass:

1. in Project , first make a serie of Levels 
  2. make a closed shape on every level as in Image 001
  3. select pairs of shapes - Level 1 +Level 2 > Create Form >Solid Form ; Level 2+Level 3 >Create Form >Solid Form ; Level 3+Level 4 >Create Form >Solid Form, and so on ....Image 002 ....results something like in image 003
  4. apply Wall by Face and Curtain System.....

Image 001

Image 001.png

Image002

Image 0002.png

Image 003

Image 003.png

with applied walls

Image 005.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 5

Nicely done, Constantin.

If the OP wants to take it a step further, he could create an adaptive component and place it at each level, then create a mass from each of those.  The adaptive component could be based on anything (distance from the ground, solar exposure, views, etc.), to that at least the design is responding to something, even if the final result appears random.  There's gotta be a method to the madness.

OP, if you're interested in following that path, set aside some time to read through Zac Kron's blog (link).  He does a lot of adaptive component manipulation, which is about the only way to get "random" results without spending thousands of hours manually manipulating your model.  Work smarter, not harder.  Here's a link to something a little closer to what you're trying to do.  Search the blog for adaptive components.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 5

you are right Ross...The idea can be developed so to can change randomly , maybe even a sort of kinetic pattern.....

Thanks for the tip...I 'll have( again) a look on Zach Kron's blog....it's a fascinating experience.....

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much guys! I've scoured the Buildz blog  (Zach Kron's blog) and couldn't find anything that nailed what I'm trying to achieve, that's one blog I regularly! I did try something like this previously (albeit without adaptive components) The issue I had is that those four-sided shapes had a curve in them (due to points being on different axes) is there anyway for these shapes to be trangulated automatically? This would prevent the curved panels. 

Thanks again! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report