Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen Window Studio

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
e2g4
4494 Views, 19 Replies

Andersen Window Studio

I've installed Andersen Window Studio 12.0 (for Win 64 bit) into Revit 13 however it seems to have several errors. Among them, the window trim appears to work just fine as a variable in Window Studio, but nothing shows up when you bring it back to Revit. I've tried every thing I can think of, but it won't come in. If one edit's the family once it's imported, no trim is visible.

There are other annoying errors, for instance not all grill patterns are available as indicated in the catalog. And trivial things, like the opening message reappearing each session despite repetedely clicking 'don't show again.' All in all, it still works for the basics, but it's a long way from actually being useful.

Anyone have luck getting the window trims to show up?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
vector2
in reply to: e2g4

@e2g4 wrote:

no trim is visible.

This is a common question. Parts of the familiy just don't show up or

they are greyed out. What to do?

1. Click on the family component that's not showing something properly,

so the whole thing is highlighted blue.

2. Click "Edit Family"

3. In the family editor click on the part that is supposed to show the color of the trim.

4. In the "Instance Properties" dialog see and remember the "name" of that material.

5. Close the family editor by clicking "Load Into Project".

6. Click on "Materials" on the "Manage" ribbon.

7. In the "Materials" UI there is a long list of materials usually starting with acoustic

ceiling and ending with wood, (alphabetical).

8. Find the material you remembered from the family editor and highlight it.

9. Then go over to "Appearance" and give it the material you want.

BTW, welcome to Autodesk Discussion forums for Revit.

Message 3 of 20
e2g4
in reply to: vector2

Thanks for your input. I attempted to follow those steps, however the trim (the missing element) is not in the family at all, so it's not possible to select it and modify its material. The Andersen plug-in has a series of options for specifying the trim, however I suspect that the issue is that it's simply not adding that element when it loads back into Revit.

Thanks again though, and also for the welcome to the forum.

Message 4 of 20
vector2

Okay I must have misunderstood you. 

The window has no trim at all. Nothing

to add a material to.

I don't know what you want the window to do

with no trim, but here is the way I would look 

at that.

I would think that's great, because then I could

add the trim according to what the building 

designer had in mind for the windows. And I 

suspect that is exactly the reason the trim was

left off. The rest of the window is the core function

of the window, that's the part you would want to have

pre-made. 

The easiest thing to do in the family editor with a

window is add trim. Trim defines the character

of a window more than anything else.

Message 5 of 20
e2g4
in reply to: vector2

Yes, that's exactly what I've had to do in the mean time. I don't mind making the trim, but the promise of the plug-in is to quickly specify the standard options (3.5" vs. 4.5" flat trim) which for this project is all I need. Therefore I wish it worked the way it is supposed to, but alas I'll have to settle for the window unit. Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 20
vector2

I am keeping in my mind everything you have talked 

about here in case it comes up again. It's definitely

relevant. Thanks very much.

Message 7 of 20
luke.johnson

@e2g4 wrote:

I've installed Andersen Window Studio 12.0 (for Win 64 bit) into Revit 13

I can't find a download link for this anymore.  Can you help out?

Luke Johnson
Message 8 of 20
ChrisOace

The new Andersenwindows.com website was launched last week (Nov 1).  Unfortunately, the link to download Window Studio was not included.  We have been working with the Andersen Marketing department to get the link included and it should be visible in the Pro Tools section by tomorrow (11/9/12) or Monday at the latest.

Revit 2013 included changes to the API that required an update to the Window Studio Add-in, so you definitely need the 12.1 version if you intend to use it with Revit 2013.

We are able to handle any installation issues or other questions you might have (once you are able to download the software, of course) via email  at windowstudio@twgi.com or by phone at 952-939-1877.

Chris Oace

Andersen CAD Support

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 9 of 20
pfschuyler

I've been trying out the Anderson window studio with Revit 2013 and its awesome.  It provides some fast functionality which is really needed especially for compound window assemblies using real world products.  I wish Revit had this functionality built in, so cudos to your innovative plugin.

A couple of things though.  Most important is that the frames for most of the windows come in all classified the same as frame/mullions, with overlapping elements and too much detail. The biggest problem here is the way this reads in elevation views.  You can't show the mullions in Revit with default object styles, it tends to be visually overbearing with so many lines close together.  So you try visually tweaking this with lighter line weights, etc...but it just doesn't look so good.  It would be great if you could either have some frame/mullion elements classified differently so that you could globally affect visibility of the level of detail (via object styles).  OR even better would be if you could insert simpler models into revit, with a Level of Detail functionality or something to that effect.  Finally, when viewed close up in 3d the models have some issues, especially with gaps at the sills...it would be great if these were a bit more seamless.  Then the plugin would be practically indispensable.

Another nice feature would be the ability to insert these Anderson windows directly into window families.  I know this may not be what you want as a company, but consider that there's important functionality added this way.  Right now I insert an Anderson window into my project.  Then I can add trim and other embellishments by opening this window family from the project and adding trim, etc., then reloading that window into Revit.  By doing this if I move the window the trim, etc. goes with it.  This works great to blend your windows with architectural treatments, but if I edit the Anderson window in Revit again, suddenly my trim is gone and I have to do it all over (as it creates a replacement family).  This is really unfortunate as working with the Anderson windows is causing a lot of rework of those families.  The plugin would be far more useful if it didn't force this rework.   

With these tweaks mentioned above your Windows studio could practically be the default window option for Revit, that's sure to result in more Anderson windows being specified.  But anyway thanks again for the awesome free plugin.

Paul Schuyler

Message 10 of 20
ChrisOace
in reply to: pfschuyler

Paul,

Your comments are 100% valid.  I think everything you mentioned is being discussed for the 2013 release.  We don't have a final feature list yet, but you've certainly mentioned several of the irritants that keeps Window Studio from being indispensable (as you so kindly stated). 

Regarding the level of detail shown (too much) in the frames.  Your suggestion for simplification is a good one and we are already doing that to a certain extent.   We have VERY accurate models with a lot of detail and we do simplify the surfaces before sending the geometry over to Revit for creation of the family.  In our next version, we will continue to work on balancing the accuracy with the aesthetics so we can eliminate those extraneous lines you see.

We also hope to have the trim you see in the Window Studio interface populate into Revit.  Whether this is done as an embedded family or as a separate family has not yet been decided, but we are working on that for the upcoming release.

Thanks for giving us feedback on Window Studio's Revit capabilities.  We are monitoring this message board and strive to incorporate your suggestions whenever possible.  If you have any further questions, you can post them here or send an email directly to windowstudio@twgi.com or by phone at 952-939-1877.

Andersen CAD Support

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 11 of 20
pfschuyler
in reply to: ChrisOace

On a related note about the trim, I've found a pretty neat work around (for those who may be investigating this).  I first tried placing trim in the family definition of the AWS window.  But that's not so great because if you edit the window using AWS later and reload it into Revit, you lose the trim that you added.  

So I tried a different approach.  Basically as I see it window trim might be considered architectural embellishments; that is, treatments belonging to the building design as opposed to the factory-made window.  In most cases that's probably a more appropriate classification because the trim is likely to merge with other trim elements on the building, etc. especially in residential work.  So, based on that idea I created a generic wall-based family with trim on the inside and outside of the wall (simple extrusions), with no openings or other elements.  The height and width of the trim opening are instance parameters based on strong reference planes (via elevation), while the rest of the parameters like trim protrusion, width and material, etc. are type based properties.  

Anyway I can place and edit windows on the project via Anderson Window Studio, then I place one of these Generic Model trim elements nearby on the same wall.  Using an elevation view I can align the edges of the trim family to the window via the instance parameters, and this works surprisingly fast.  The family automatically adjusts to the wall construction thickness and places trim inside and outside.  I can change general trim properties by type.  By doing this I  can freely edit the windows via AWS, and if they change dimensions I can easily readjust the trim elements without losing them completely and I've found this a pretty acceptable compromise. 

PS

Message 12 of 20
ChrisOace
in reply to: pfschuyler

Paul,

I think your idea is better than a work-around.  It provides a possible model for trim creation using Window Studio.  We have been debating how to associate the trim with the window but keep it separate enough so that a deeply set window frame can be disconnected from the trim.  This meant treating the trim as an embedded family but allowing the relationship of the trim and window to change based on wall placement.  Since this happens in Revit, we were having difficulty with this solution.  We also thought about creating a completely independent trim family as part of the Window Studio process.  Your solution is like the latter but adds the element of declaring the trim as an embellishment rather than a window.  We will discuss this insight with the developers and see if that's the proper mechanism we go with.

We would like to see the RVT file of your trim if you would share it with us.  You can send it to windowstudio@twgi.com.  Thanks for the real-world input!

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 13 of 20
ChrisOace

Revit 2014 was just released and an updated version of Andersen's Window Studio is being tested right now.  Release date is expected in 7 - 10 days, but a pre-release version has been made available for current Revit 2014 users.  This is a 64 bit version of Window Studio 12.1 that has been recompiled using the Revit 2014 API.  Please report any issues you might run into (it is still undergoing testing).  I'll remove this link when an official version is offered on andersenwindows.com..

Pre release of Window Studio 13.0 for Revit 2014

There are many new features expected in the 13.1 release scheduled for late summer.  One of those features will be the inclusion of exterior trim as designed in Window Studio.  For the intervening months, the following advice might help anyone trying to create their own trim and group it with an Andersen Window.  Hopefully, this workaround will only be needed for a short time.  

Since I last posted my last comment about trim, I was sent a generic trim .rfa file I've been using.  I was able to place the trim family on my host wall and change the parameters to "almost" match the native Andersen trim.  The model I was sent does not have any cornice,  drip cap, or brick mould so those features would have to be added using the family editor.  I wish I knew the original creator of this trim file so I could give him/her credit, but I'm afraid I did not obtain that info.

Here's the file.  I took the RO measurements of the Andersen window to set the height and width parameters for this generic trim.  One limitation is that this works for single units only (without editing).  The authentic Andersen trim will render horizontals and verticals for an entire design with no editing needed.  Space between mulled units will either show a 3.5 or 4.5 board or the connecting strip for frame-to-frame joins.

Window Trim RFA File

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 14 of 20
abe
Participant

Has an official version of Window Studio been released for Revit 2014 yet? I can still only find a pre-release version, and, I have been completely unsuccessful in using it so far. It installs, it generates a window, but I cannot bring the window back into Revit without crashing both Revit and Anderse Window Studio! Any ideas of help? I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice using fresh downloads.

Abe Degnan
I've been a Revit user since version 1.x circa 1999, but I'm not a full-time user in my daily job.
www.degnandesignbuilders.com
Message 15 of 20
ChrisOace
in reply to: abe

Revit 2015 was released to subscribers on April 19.  The current 13.1 release of Andersen's Window Studio is no longer recognized as a valid Addin by Revit 2015.  An update is being prepared.  This update will also fix the incompatibility introduced with the SketchUp 2014 Pro release last month.  We recognize that many architectcs and designers count on the unique integration with Revit and SketchUp to dynamically create BIM objects for the models. We will post pre-release links in this forum as they become available.  Revit 2014 and SketchUp 8 still work great for dynamically creating Andersen Windows and Doors in 3D.

Thank you for your patience.

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 16 of 20
abe
Participant

we still have not found a version of Anderson windows studio that works
with Robert 2014. We found a beta version but it is crashing. Is there one
out that we can download and use currently with 2014?

Abe Degnan 608-575-4073
Please excuse any typos and nonsense due to swype typing and voice
dictation.
Abe Degnan
I've been a Revit user since version 1.x circa 1999, but I'm not a full-time user in my daily job.
www.degnandesignbuilders.com
Message 17 of 20
alyman

Any update if there is a new version that is compatible with Revit 2015?
Message 18 of 20
rkrause

Any updates for the 2015 version?  Can not find one any where.

Ryan

Message 19 of 20
ChrisOace
in reply to: rkrause

To All,

Unfortunately we will not be releasing a Revit 2015 compatible version of Window Studio.  Earlier in the year a decision was made to create parameterized versions of the Andersen product line and make them available on SEEK.  The continually growing list of completed units can be found on the Andersenwindows.com site.  Andersen's Architectural Services group is managing the creation of those new Revit families.  Assistance with these hand-crafted families is available through architecturalservices@andersenwindows.com.

The current 14.1 version of Window Studio has been upgraded to work with all current versions of SketchUp.  It will still work with versions of Revit previous to 2015.  I'm including the release notes as an attachment to this post.  The release notes show how to manually configure Window Studio to work with older versions of Revit while maintaining multiple versions of Revit on your workstation.

If the unit you need has not yet been created by architecturalservices, we encourage you to use the Window Studio/Revit capability with a 2014 or earlier version of Revit.  As of today, the A-Series, 200 Series, and parts of the 400 Series including multi-sash casements and awnings are still in development.  

To download the current 14.1 version of Window Studio, follow the link (http://www.andersenwindows.com/for-professionals/cad-symbols-bim-support-window-doors) and scroll down to the Window Studio section.  Select either the 32 bit or 64 bit version, answer a few questions, and then download the program.  Window Studio will install the Revit addin into the most recently installed version on your computer.  If your Revit version is 2014 or earlier, everything will function fine.  If you have Revit 2015 installed, the Window Studio addin will not be recognized.  See the attached release notes for getting Window Studio to work with multiple installed versions of Revit.

Thank you all for our patience and hopefully the new parameterized Revit families will work well for you. 

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 20 of 20
ChrisOace

Ryan,
Thanks for reminding me to update the information on the Revit user site. I've just posted a response to share with everybody.

Thank you all for our patience and hopefully the new parameterized Revit families will work well for you.

Thanks,

Chris Oace
Andersen Window Studio/Windowsymbols Support
1-952-939-1877

Help with Andersen's Window Studio software
and Windowsymbols.com website

Dynamically generating customized Revit and SketchUp symbols since 2010

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report