Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align elevations with non orthogonal walls

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ssoonets
45998 Views, 8 Replies

Align elevations with non orthogonal walls

Hi:

I have a model whit lots of non orthogonal walls. How can I control the alignment of an elevation view?  Align does not work, and the elevation tag has almost not options.  I tried with an scope box, but I get a message "elevation must be parallel to the scope box" That is just what I want!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

Silvia

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doug
in reply to: ssoonets

Silvia,

A couple of options:

Option 1 when placing a tag -

When you place an elevation tag, move the cursor near the desired wall and you will see the elevation marker rotate to be perpendicular with the wall so that you get a scope box that is parallel.  You can go ahead and place the marker, and then move the marker to a new location that is further from the wall if desired. 

Option 2 when modifying an existing elevation -

When an elevation marker and view already exist, you can rotate it to match the wall's angle (which is directly what you are asking about).  With nothing selected, window the entire elevation marker tag to select it.  (Don't worry about the scope box at this point,)  Go to the Modify panel and select the Rotate command.  The little rotate icon will appear at the center of the elevation marker.  Pick on that little rotate icon and move it to a point on the desired wall.  You can now specify the rotation angle to rotate the elevation marker, or use the rotation line to specify the old angle and the new angle.  Your elevation marker and associated scope box should now be rotated to match the wall.  You can move the elevation marker to the desired location for the marker.

I have attached an image that shows the elevation tag what would be selected for rotation and the new location for the rotate icon (center point for the rotation).  The final desired elevation marker rotation is also shown.

I hope that helps.

Douglas Bowers, AIA, LEED AP
Revit Architecture 2016 Certified Professional
Revit Structure 2016 Certified Professional
Revit MEP 2016 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2016 Certified Professional
www.dougbowersconsulting.com
blog: http://aectechtalk.wordpress.com

Please use Mark Solutions > Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
rsc
Participant
in reply to: doug

for me the problem occurred in an elevation view that was *almost* orthogonal - to the extent that grids even showed up. the issue only became evident long after I had set up the elevation view, and had gottten to the stage of dimensioning elements when the error message popped up (specifically in relation to a grid). I was not looking forward to recreating the elevation with its visibility overrides, crops, and all that.

This worked for me: create a reference plane in the offending elevation view, switch to a plan view that shows the elevation tag, move the reference plane to relate to the elevation tag in a sensible way if you like. select the tag and activate rotate, move the center of rotation to be on the reference plane somewhere, set the start angle to relate to an end of the reference plane, set the end angle to be orthoganal to the model/perpendicular to a wall/parallel to a grid/whatever you need it to be. my test was being able to dimension the grid lines

Message 4 of 9
cwinches
in reply to: doug

Doug, another issue is that when excercising your Option 1 - elevation tags do not seem to recognize elements in a linked model. In my case I have a facade linked in to my main model and the elevation tag will not reconize this geometry no matter how much I tab through. I'm having to create a dummy wall in the main model for it behave correctly then delete it. Seems like a glitch.

Message 5 of 9
TAS-02
in reply to: rsc

much thanks...
Message 6 of 9
uniyal.nitin

Hi,

an easy way to just draw a temporary wall over that if that wall is linked and make the elevation. Post that elevation you may remove the temporary wall

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
aldo.alvarez73

1. create a detail line aligned to the elevation triangle base

2. create a line on the desire angle

3. place the end of this line on the end of the triangle base.

4. rotate the line and the elevation tag to the new position.

Message 8 of 9
ccg
Participant
in reply to: aldo.alvarez73

Thanks, just read this thread now and is what I have done as well. Good and almost only solution to certain situations.
Message 9 of 9
r.white
in reply to: ccg

I was finding it awkward too until I right-clicked an existing marker and used 'Create Similar' ... just move near a wall and the new ghost of a marker aligns itself perpendicular (revit 2022 btw).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report