Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting Camera Focal Length

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3590 Views, 9 Replies

Adjusting Camera Focal Length

I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 mm, etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? Thanks, -- Matt Dillon Enceptia, Inc. http://www.enceptia.com
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

No way of adjusting focal length yet. You do have many options for 3D perspective views, such as crop box, clipping plane, as well as other Dynamic View options, that let you adjust the view in real-time. Scroll, Zoom, Spin, Dolly, Forward/Back, Turn, In/Out, Slide, Recenter, are all available by hitting F8 while in a 3D view to activate the Dynamic View dialog box. Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal length of a real photograph? "Matt Dillon" wrote in message news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 mm, > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > Thanks, > > -- > Matt Dillon > Enceptia, Inc. > http://www.enceptia.com > > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Correct. Is there another way of doing that? -- Matt Dillon Enceptia, Inc. http://www.enceptia.com "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:403cde07$1_1@newsprd01... > > Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal > length of a real photograph? > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 mm, > > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Matt Dillon > > Enceptia, Inc. > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I would try to get the camera position, camera height, and target height as close as possible to what the real photo was taken at. Then use the Dynamic View to adjust the perspective in hidden line mode to get the model 'lined up' with the photo. In the past, I've opened the picture in Photoshop, then adjusted my b&w hidden line perspective in Revit to be as close as possible. Then I export a quick b&w JPG from Revit, layer it into the PS file, turn down the opacity of the B&W, line it up with the photo and see how close I am. If adjustments need to be made, I do them, and shoot out another B&W JPG as a test. Once everything looks good, then render it. Not necessarily the best solution, but it works. "Matt Dillon" wrote in message news:403ce082$1_2@newsprd01... > Correct. Is there another way of doing that? > > -- > Matt Dillon > Enceptia, Inc. > http://www.enceptia.com > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:403cde07$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal > > length of a real photograph? > > > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > > news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 > mm, > > > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > > > > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > -- > > > Matt Dillon > > > Enceptia, Inc. > > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

OK. That's pretty much what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks. -- Matt Dillon Enceptia, Inc. http://www.enceptia.com "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:403ce864$1_2@newsprd01... > I would try to get the camera position, camera height, and target height as > close as possible to what the real photo was taken at. Then use the Dynamic > View to adjust the perspective in hidden line mode to get the model 'lined > up' with the photo. In the past, I've opened the picture in Photoshop, then > adjusted my b&w hidden line perspective in Revit to be as close as possible. > Then I export a quick b&w JPG from Revit, layer it into the PS file, turn > down the opacity of the B&W, line it up with the photo and see how close I > am. If adjustments need to be made, I do them, and shoot out another B&W > JPG as a test. > > Once everything looks good, then render it. Not necessarily the best > solution, but it works. > > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > news:403ce082$1_2@newsprd01... > > Correct. Is there another way of doing that? > > > > -- > > Matt Dillon > > Enceptia, Inc. > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > news:403cde07$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal > > > length of a real photograph? > > > > > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > > > news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 > > mm, > > > > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > > > > > > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Matt Dillon > > > > Enceptia, Inc. > > > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

The button In/Out of the Dynamic View dialog changes the focal length of the camera. However Revit does not provide focal length numeric value because of possible confusions. Focal length in photography usually relates to pictures taken with cameras that have 35 mm wide film. Internally cameras in Revit effectively shoot pictures on film that has width equal to height of crop region. - LR "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:403cde07$1_1@newsprd01... > No way of adjusting focal length yet. You do have many options for 3D > perspective views, such as crop box, clipping plane, as well as other > Dynamic View options, that let you adjust the view in real-time. Scroll, > Zoom, Spin, Dolly, Forward/Back, Turn, In/Out, Slide, Recenter, are all > available by hitting F8 while in a 3D view to activate the Dynamic View > dialog box. > > Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal > length of a real photograph? > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 mm, > > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Matt Dillon > > Enceptia, Inc. > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Very true! I just read that the new Canon Digital Rebel camera comes with a special lens that makes up for the size of the digital processor. From the Canon site: (Focal length conversion factor: Equivalent to approx. 1.6x indicated focal length compared to 35mm format.) So 35mm on the Digital Rebel is much different than 35mm on a film camera. This makes a numerical designation in Revit or any other program insignificant. "Leonid Raiz" wrote in message news:403d7910$1_1@newsprd01... > The button In/Out of the Dynamic View dialog changes the focal length of the > camera. However Revit does not provide focal length numeric value because of > possible confusions. Focal length in photography usually relates to pictures > taken with cameras that have 35 mm wide film. Internally cameras in Revit > effectively shoot pictures on film that has width equal to height of crop > region. > > - LR > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:403cde07$1_1@newsprd01... > > No way of adjusting focal length yet. You do have many options for 3D > > perspective views, such as crop box, clipping plane, as well as other > > Dynamic View options, that let you adjust the view in real-time. Scroll, > > Zoom, Spin, Dolly, Forward/Back, Turn, In/Out, Slide, Recenter, are all > > available by hitting F8 while in a 3D view to activate the Dynamic View > > dialog box. > > > > Are you trying to match the focal length of a rendered view to the focal > > length of a real photograph? > > > > "Matt Dillon" wrote in message > > news:403cda00$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I can't see any way of setting a camera focal length of, say 28 mm, 50 > mm, > > > etc. Only the ability to adjust the crop box, clipping plane, etc. > > > > > > Is there any way of specifying an explicit focal length? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > -- > > > Matt Dillon > > > Enceptia, Inc. > > > http://www.enceptia.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

You CAN change the focal length of the Revit camera... you just have to do the math. See attached. _________________ Wes Macaulay AT.AIBC Pacific Alliance Technologies Vancouver, BC CANADA Autodesk | Bentley software Revit Training, Implementation and Support Software Development
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Nice documentation! Seems easy enough to follow, although I haven't tried it yet. My next thought is, that since it is simple math to figure the focal length for a Revit camera, why can't this be a built-in feature? Maybe after one creates a default 3D view, at 6x6 image size for a 50 degree field of view and a 38.6mm focal length, one of the properties of the view would be 'focal length' which would do the calulation and reconfigure the view as described in the above attached PDF. SD "Wes Macaulay" wrote in message news:403f658a_3@newsprd01... You CAN change the focal length of the Revit camera... you just have to do the math. See attached. _________________ Wes Macaulay AT.AIBC Pacific Alliance Technologies Vancouver, BC CANADA Autodesk | Bentley software Revit Training, Implementation and Support Software Development
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I agree. That would help a lot! W. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:403f6ca7$1_2@newsprd01... Nice documentation! Seems easy enough to follow, although I haven't tried it yet. My next thought is, that since it is simple math to figure the focal length for a Revit camera, why can't this be a built-in feature? Maybe after one creates a default 3D view, at 6x6 image size for a 50 degree field of view and a 38.6mm focal length, one of the properties of the view would be 'focal length' which would do the calulation and reconfigure the view as described in the above attached PDF. SD "Wes Macaulay" wrote in message news:403f658a_3@newsprd01... You CAN change the focal length of the Revit camera... you just have to do the math. See attached. _________________ Wes Macaulay AT.AIBC Pacific Alliance Technologies Vancouver, BC CANADA Autodesk | Bentley software Revit Training, Implementation and Support Software Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report