Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding custom made elements in Revit Architecture

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
640 Views, 2 Replies

Adding custom made elements in Revit Architecture

Is there any way besides creatng "family" components, other than starting with a "canned" system family component,  to import details into a Revit Project? 

Right now, I'd like to draw something in another app, and plunk it onto a wall in my project file.

I am familiarizing myself with Sketchbook Designer, and would like to draw something there, and drop it as a 2-D into my project.   I have this sinking feeling that I might be SOL.  

Is there any  way to create a component in Sketchbook (or any other ADesk app), and export it as a file that can be brought into Revit as a family component?  If not, how am I supposed to create custom components that are far removed from what's available in system families?  The item I want to create has no similarity to anything available in Revit Families (but maybe it doesn't have to even remotely resemble anything in available system families to be created?).

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

It is possible to insert objects that were created in other programs, such as AutoCAD, 3Dstudio, SketchUp, but they cannot be converted automatically into Revit's parametric families. They will be simply 3d objects with no more features or information. The best advice in the long run is to create the objects with the family editor, if possible.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks, Alfredo.  I'll play around with both options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report