Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive component disappears in plan view under certain configurations

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
benh
1156 Views, 3 Replies

Adaptive component disappears in plan view under certain configurations

I have created a "Jersey Barrier" as an adaptive component (attached). It is basically a profile extruded along a series of reference lines hooked to adaptive points.

In some plan views, under certain geometric configurations, the extrusion disappears in the view. The points highlight if you mouse over them. In a parallel 3D view, the component is still there. If I adjust the geometry in certain ways, the component will reappear in the plan view.

Here is an isolated view (3D on left, plan on right) with a configuration where the object does not appear in plan.

notvisibleinplan.PNG

here's a view where I have moved one of the adaptive points, and it appears in plan.

visibleinplan.PNG

Can anybody identify what it going on? Poor component design on my part? Bug in Revit? I have verified this behavior in RVT 2012 and 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: benh

I made a test, and nothing disappeared. However, I'd like to make some suggestions:

1) You don't need  to create a barrier with 17 points. Just one segment of barrier with start and end point is enough. In the project, you activate "chain" and continue providing clicks. If you make 17 points, Revit will wait for you to provide all those clicks to execute the family. More chances of getting errors.

2) Make the profile of the barrier as a family. A flat generic model family, work-plane based. This is easier to edit, and it gives you the ability to change the profile easily, using with a family type parameter.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
benh
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo.

Redoing the profile as an embedded, workplane based (not always vertical) family did the trick. I wish I knew why.

Regarding creating one segment and activating "chain", it is compelling due to its relative simplicity, and it also has some pitfalls, depending on what one is trying to accomplish.

We're following contours, and having a single element means we have fewer control points to edit. Plus, when we're not on a planar surface, the chained objects' masses overlap. Thanks for suggesting it. I tested it out, and now have a better understanding of when I might want to use either technique.

Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: benh

Good !

Another alternative for these type of objects, when curves are required, is using a path made of a spline of 3 points.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report