Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Revit MEP, Revit Architecture and Vault

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
vu.do.mylangroup
652 Views, 7 Replies

About Revit MEP, Revit Architecture and Vault

I'm having problem

The revit architecutre user designs the building

The revit mep user design electrical system, piping system... inside this building

How can they work on the same file through Vault?

When one check out file, the other can only open it as read-only

How can they use revit to link from one file to another?

Thanks very much.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tannro
in reply to: vu.do.mylangroup

Revit work sharing of central files is the suggested solution for concurent file edits.  The central file must be availalbe on a network share that is accessible by all the clients that will perfrom edits.  The Revit documentation has further detail about how this works and how the work shared files can be linked.  

The central file workflow is compatible with Vault but does require some manaul interaction or custom automation. The concept is simple, at selected milestones or a predefined period, use the Vault Client to add the project files to Vault. There are multiple ways to go about this.  Here are a couple of options and some details to consider:

1. Check in the central files from the shared location. Make sure no one attempts to sync to central during the check-in.  If you use the central files you will need to either leave them checked out so the files remain read/write, or manually set the files to read/write after checkin. Remember a check in automatically sets the files to read only. This process could be automated to run in non work hours. For automation options see the Vault API or talk to your reseller. 

2. Check in a local copy of the files.  With this option you may want to address the modified file names of the local copies.  You could manually rename the files, choose to live with the modified names or remove the default name from Revit.

Hope this helps,

Ross Tanner
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 8
vu.do.mylangroup
in reply to: tannro

Thanks very much. But i'm still having problem.

How can i prevent the users from editing directly to the central file?

Message 4 of 8
tannro

Adjusting permissions on the network share containing the central file provides the ability to limit users to read only or blocking access entirely. 

Ross Tanner
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
vu.do.mylangroup

But when I make central file read-only or block access to it, how can the users synchronyze local file with central file?

Message 6 of 8
tannro

If a given user requires the ability to edit local copies and sync to central they will also have the ability to edit the central file itself.  

Ross Tanner
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
Bambuch

Can Vault control links on Revit files with models linked from other Revit files? When I check-in a revit file with linked models from other files, I cannot see the links in Vault - Uses and Where Used displays no links ...and linked files are NOT Vaulted!!! How can I control the linked files in Vault??

Message 8 of 8
Bambuch
in reply to: Bambuch

Nobody knows???  Smiley Surprised

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report