Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT vs Revit Series

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
217 Views, 10 Replies

ADT vs Revit Series

Hello All,
I'm currently trying to upgrade our office software since we're still running ACAD2000 and want to explore more 3D work. Right now I'm torn between ADT and Revit Series. Does anybody have experience using both? If so, could you please tell me the functional differences between the two? Thanks for any help!
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jim W
in reply to: Anonymous

I have been an AutoCAD user for "Years" but struggled with ADT. Found very unfriendly and went down paths I didn't want to go.
Revit's simplicity v's ADT complexity.
Have been a Revit user for only five weeks , no training and feel my Revit productivity has already passed my ADT productivity.
Still going back to AutoCAD for detailing , site plans etc.
Time I'm sure will see me use Revit for this as well soon Have not thrown away ACAD skills. Exporting & linking each way adequate.
There are bound to be better informed users than me ,my Revit knowledge still very limited . Find Autodesk pushing Revit more than ADT, look forward to reading further comments. - Jim W
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I have been using AutoCAD since Rel 2.6. I can't remember a single day not
using AutoCAD in all these years. When I tried to learn ADT (a friend was
using it but not very efficiently) I thought it was the end of AutoDesk. Not
friendly at all.
Then I read about Revit. I downloaded the trial and made my first project in
3-4 hours. Since then, ADT is not an option for me.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for your post Jim,
A couple more questions for you:
How involved has Revit been in your project process? That is, what have you been using it for and how effective has it been? Also, how has your experience been in regards to jumping back and forth between ACAD and Revit? Thanks again.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for your replay JTB,
I guess I'll ask you some of the same questions I asked the previous poster:
Have you ever had any ADT training? Revit training? How complicated was your first Revit project, and how have you used it since? Thanks again.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Forgot to ask you one more thing, Jim,
Have you ever had any training in either ADT or Revit, or are you self-taught? Thanks
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Ex-ADT user here too. I used ADT for about 2 years and then gave up on it.
It's not that I didn't know how to use it, it's more that it was difficult
to use. See the the light, move forward. Revit is the way.

wrote in message news:4851351@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello All,
I'm currently trying to upgrade our office software since we're still
running ACAD2000 and want to explore more 3D work. Right now I'm torn
between ADT and Revit Series. Does anybody have experience using both? If
so, could you please tell me the functional differences between the two?
Thanks for any help!
Message 8 of 11
Jim W

Went to a Two day training course on ADT to get me started. Revit's online training videos also very good to get you started.
My projects are mainly single story residential homes , and unit development.
Still use all my old standard details out of autocad.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Same here.

"Chad" wrote in message
news:4852980@discussion.autodesk.com...
Ex-ADT user here too. I used ADT for about 2 years and then gave up on it.
It's not that I didn't know how to use it, it's more that it was difficult
to use. See the the light, move forward. Revit is the way.

wrote in message news:4851351@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello All,
I'm currently trying to upgrade our office software since we're still
running ACAD2000 and want to explore more 3D work. Right now I'm torn
between ADT and Revit Series. Does anybody have experience using both? If
so, could you please tell me the functional differences between the two?
Thanks for any help!
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks again Jim,
How helpful was the training course? I'll probably take a similar kind of 2-3 day course to get me started. Did you find it one of those "taking a drink out of a fire hose" or brain overload experiences? Also, have you tried incorporating the information from your ACAD details into the Revit wall types (eg adding all the watproofing, flashing, gyp bd depending on what type of wall it is)? Thanks again!
Message 11 of 11
rod
Explorer

Think that a basic training course is a must. Revt is really easy to learn - once you have the basics. I run an office of 35 seats and recently switched from ADT and ACAD to Revit. We sent 2 of us to a 2 day basic course and managed to train the rest of the office. In the last couple of months we have started rolling out our first projects to building sites and we loved the experience.

Whilst there were a lot of issues (as anyone gets with minimal training and new software) the results have been great. An interesting fact to note is the ore experienced our CAD users and the longer they have spent with ACAD and ADT the harder the change has been. The staff who were very new to ACAD picked up REVIT easily and are well ahead of the rest of our CAD operators now. I think there is something simply intuitive about it that those of us who have been using complex software for years tend not to notice.

I was very sceptical of it at first and flirted wioth it for a year and a half myself beforre making the whole office take the plunge, but all i can say is chuck ADT in the rubbish. Comparably it is worthless and far too complicated for most staff.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report