Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT or Revit for Government Projects

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ridenho
933 Views, 14 Replies

ADT or Revit for Government Projects

My firm is starting a project for the National Park Service. They have CAD standards that need to be followed for deliverables. The standards are based on CAD and deal with layering, file naming, etc... We would love to do the work in Revit, but we need to be able to get the deliverables correctly. Revit will export and map layer names quite elegantly, so I am leaning towards Revit for that and millions of other reasons. Has anyone else had any luck with similar situations?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ridenho
in reply to: ridenho

Not all of them apparently:

http://cadd.den.nps.gov/standards.html
Message 3 of 15
noahma

From my experience, the government does not dictate which BIM solution you use, other than the submittals are following the BIM workflow, and you are able to produce a BIM model for them. They have previously accepted ACA and Revit models from us on several occasions.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

no the GSA will NOT accept any projects
drafter with ACA..

check the facts..
Message 5 of 15
noahma

They certainly do accept Autocad Architecture models for submital.

I will leave it up to your to do the research, the information can be readily found on the GSA website. I will even provide you the links.
http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW&contentId=20917

http://www.gsa.gov/graphics/pbs/GSA_BIM_Guide_Series_05_Version_1.pdf
the PDF lists many programs that they will accept with Autocad Architecture as being one of them.

If you cannot help the origonal poster, especially with something that could cost a company money, I ask you please do not post.
Message 6 of 15
sureshchotrani

AutoCAD Architecture is also a BIM software's there are many firms working with ACA(ADT). You can surely work in Revit but first of all make sure that weather you will get the things correct.
Your client will be looking for 3d BIM(Intelligent) model in ACA(ADT) not in Revit. Through Revit Export of CAD you will get unintelligent(Solid Block) model. Through Revit export of IFC model will not be in standard layer system.

If you are aware of modeling tools in ACA(ADT) go and model this in ACA(ADT) instead lossing your time in converting the things. In case you are not aware then you can go through IFC option of Revit and make the model in standard's in ACA(ADT).

Thanks and Regards,
Suresh Chotrani
www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

The project that the OP stated is for the National Park Service. In this
particular situation it does not matter what GSA wants since this is not one
of their projects.

"vector2" wrote in message news:6388238@discussion.autodesk.com...
> no the GSA will NOT accept any projects
> drafter with ACA..
>
> check the facts..
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Draft a really nice letter asking them to clarify what they need and asking
if your desired workflow/product is acceptable. That's the only way you can
be sure to get a documented answer verifying what you can do, anything else
is a risk.

--
Lance W.

"Ridenho" wrote in message news:6388210@discussion.autodesk.com...
> My firm is starting a project for the National Park Service. They have CAD
> standards that need to be followed for deliverables. The standards are
> based on CAD and deal with layering, file naming, etc... We would love to
> do the work in Revit, but we need to be able to get the deliverables
> correctly. Revit will export and map layer names quite elegantly, so I am
> leaning towards Revit for that and millions of other reasons. Has anyone
> else had any luck with similar situations?
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Now there is some solid advice.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

> {quote:title=Guest wrote:}{quote}
> Draft a really nice letter asking them to clarify what they need and asking
> if your desired workflow/product is acceptable.

best advice i ever heard..
Message 11 of 15
ridenho

Response from the CAD directors:

Our requirements for deliverables continue to be 2D AutoCAD drawings. Our
standards are developed for 2D drawings. We don't foresee a change to our requirements in the near future.

I believe the deliverables can be handled easier from Revit than ADT anyway. We are going to go with Revit and not move back!
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

I am working on an NPS project in Revit and concerned about the final deliverable with the strict NPS standard.  Although you post is old, I would like to know how it turned out with a Revit project going to the National Park Service.

thanks,

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Did you find a reasonable solution to using Revit on a NPS project?  We are in the same position and I would like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks, Boyd

Message 14 of 15
gesalazar

The firm I work for is running across the same issue with projects for the Corps of Engineering.  We have utilized Revit and AutoCAD for many years now, but when we prepare the Revit files to deliver to the Corps, we have not found a way to get the layer naming convention provided by the corps (https://cadbim.usace.army.mil/CAD). 

The AEC CAD Standard Release 4.0 is set up for AutoCAD and Microstation, so when we work in Revit, the sheets are exported and renamed to follow the standard.  However, the the layer properties do not match the standard. 

Is there a way to export using a new standard not prepackaged in Revit?  Would really be interested in this for future projects.

Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
loboarch

There have been some changes to the DWG export functions in Revit since this question was originally posted.  You can find information for altering/creating standards for DWG exports from revit at the Revit wikihelp.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report