Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Dashed Line / Arrow Family ?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MKEllis
5036 Views, 6 Replies

3d Dashed Line / Arrow Family ?

I'm building a couple of 3d massign models and a thought occured to me.

Is it possible to create a 3d dashed line family (ideally with a 3d arrow head graphic) that could be used via a drawn line in the model to act as a path ?

If possible, then parameters could be used to set height, depth, dash gap etc.

It would allow for quick 3d annotation on views - including shadows to help them 'pop'

Not quite sure where to start. I can use sweeps etc. but not sure if a family can use a path that is essentially outside of the family itself.

Could it even use an MEP family - based around something like a duct route, but substituting a dashed 3d form and a termination of an arrow ?

Not a critical item - just a thought on what might be possible.

Thanks,

Martin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

OK - probably blindingly obvious to you lot, but it only dawned on me on the way home tonight.

Curtain Walling.

Just made a simple padded block cladding panel, and a couple of alternatives for arrow ends, and hey presto - flexible 3d arrow lines that can be altered to different depths, padding etc.

3d-Arrow-Lines.jpg

A bit clumsy as I have it set up for the moment, I need to refine things a bit to give myself more options on setting colour more universally by Type to allow me to switch whole runs from one colour / type to another - but as a principle it is what I'm after.

Message 3 of 7
MKEllis

Wasn't sure if accepting your own post as a solution is acceptable / or frowned on here - but it seemed appropriate, hope no-one minds.

Martin

Message 4 of 7
rosskirby

Perfectly acceptable.  Thanks for the post.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 7
rfresquez

Is it possible to share this family or explain how it was done?  I am at a loss as to how to create an object like the one pictured here. 

Message 6 of 7
dianeYKHBV

mind sharing the rfa?

Message 7 of 7
fg
Enthusiast

This is a clever workaround - it would be nice to have this - but really, isn't it a bit ridiculous to have to use a Curtain Wall family in order to have decent arrows?  If Revit just had a few more options for arrows, and perhaps gradient fills etc, one could really get by using it for most illustration tasks.  That would save a lot of time and effort.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report