Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Revit Crashes

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
rydep
812 Views, 22 Replies

2013 Revit Crashes

I ran into a problem when trying to create a new floor slab for a basement project.

Rivet stops working and shuts down after I try and load "sand" into the material column. The same thing happens when I tried to load   "gravel". Interestingly enough, "Earth" can be loaded with no problems.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Jason_S
in reply to: rydep

Do you have the latest updates for Revit installed?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9273944

I seem to recall this being fixed in an update.

Message 3 of 23
rydep
in reply to: Jason_S

I probably should have said more in the original post.

I just downloaded 2013 Revit in in December, when my school semester started. I also tried the repair, uninstall and reinstall, virtually everything that I know of. It didn't matter if I was in my original project or if I started a brand-new one.

What specific update are you talking about? I tried to do the top three ones and it would not let me or something else went wrong so I figured I did not need them.

Could it be lack of RAM? I have 8 GB right now. Could it be my video card? What the video card cause only this problem?

Message 4 of 23
Jason_S

I guess I could have asked a few more questions also.

Autodesk has many flavors of Revit out currently.  Revit Architecture, Revit Architecture Suite and Revit Design Premium and Ultimate.  To figure out which version you have go to the ? symbol in the upper right of the the Revit screen.  Go down to about Revit.  This will tell you the version of Revit and what Update is currently loaded. The update should say Update Release 2.

If you have Revit Architecture use the link I gave you in the other post.

If you have a Design Suite version use this link.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20679039&linkID=16831210

As for RAM.  8 gigs isn't too bad.  I wouldn't go any lower on it.  Your video card could be at fault also.  Nvidia releases updates all the time.  Not sure of the other manufactures update that often but you can check the driver release and then compare it to the manufactures latest driver.

I hope this helps some more.  Let me know if there is still some issues.

Message 5 of 23
rydep

Well, thanks for that information! That was the update I needed but, unfortunately my problem still occurs when trying to load "sand" into the materials column.

Any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 23
Jason_S

Hmmm.....How about creating a new project with nothing in it.

Go to the material area and loading in the sand and gravel material into it and saving the project.  Then go back into your project and do a Transfer Project Standards.  Manage Tab --> Settings Panel.

Click Check None then scroll down that list and only check Materials on the list, and hit OK

It will ask if you want to override or copy new only.  I would Copy New Only.

If you are able to add Sand to a new Project and import it this way there is something in the current model that isn't allowing it.  Without seeing the model I would try the above.

Let me know if this gets you closer. 

Message 7 of 23
rydep

Unfortunately, that does not work. After a change something I always go into architectural template and try loading sand.

Message 8 of 23
psemrau

I'm also very frustrated with the most unstable revit version ever (2013).  I just wish Autodesk would actually test their products in the real world environment before even attempting to release, much less sell anything.

Message 9 of 23
Jason_S

@rydep wrote:

Unfortunately, that does not work. After a change something I always go into architectural template and try loading sand.

OK I created a small project with a wall that has Sand and Gravel as a material applied to it.

Try opening it and Transferring Project Standards from it.

I am running out of ideas.  But I have a good feeling this will get you the materials you need.  Thinking positive.

Message 10 of 23
rydep

I would've thought that would've worked also, no luck.

I wonder why no Autodesk representative has replied yet?

Thanks for everything!

Message 11 of 23
Jason_S

RATS!!!!!!!

I am sorry.  I would have thought something by now would have worked for you.

I am out of ideas.  I hope something works for you soon.

Is there anywhere you can upload the model to see if there is something in it?

Message 12 of 23
rydep

I went back in to try one more time. I tried inserting it above the core boundary line and it loaded! I did not change anything else and I am still confused that wire work today. All I did was move it down to the position I needed and it stayed and Revit stayed running.

STRANGE

Thanks for your help!

Message 13 of 23
rydep

Hello, I have a new problem!

I go into the managed tab and click on materials. Then I want to copy a material and modify some things. I am able to duplicate it and change what it looks likebut as soon as I tried to rename it, CRASH! It says the same thing as it was saying before. Do you think it could be a RAM problem?

Should I upload my file?

Message 14 of 23
Jason_S

Unless this project is big (150 - 200 megs) 8 Gigs of RAM should be fine.  How large is the model?

Are you working on a laptop with a shared video card RAM.  Where the video card uses the computer RAM instead of having its own?

Message 15 of 23
rydep

I am working on a laptop but I'm not sure if it is shared or not. I do know I can switch out the 8 GB cards up to 16 GB.

Something is leading me towards it is the RAM or the video card. When I have been working on this tonight, I had my Windows task manager open so I can look at my CPU usage and memory. The CPU usage spikes occasionally but then it drops down to 5-10%. The memory stays steady around 3.75-4.25 MB when working also. I looked it up in my video card and it was not in the "supported" category and the RAM is at the minimum which is 8 GB. I would be able to upgrade to 16 GB, but I don't know if I want to without knowing if that is the for sure problem. If it doesn't work, it would be a waste of $100. And, I called HP and they said the video card cannot be replaced because it is embedded in the motherboard. Hopefully it's not that!
Message 16 of 23
Jason_S

In this instance, I would bet you have a laptop that is sharing RAM from the computer.  These laptops are cheaper than dedicated video RAM laptops by several hundred dollars.

So upgrading your RAM might take care of the problem.  More memory for the computer and more for the video card to share.  All the laptops I use have dedicated RAM for the video cards.

I hope things start working for you soon. 

Message 17 of 23
Joe.Charpentier

Can you post journals (preferably starting a new project from a  template if poaaible) showing both of your crashes?

Thanks,

Joe

Message 18 of 23
rydep
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

I attached the latest journal.

The crash specifically happened when I tried to rename a duplicated material. I was able to duplicate it but as soon as I try to rename it, crash. Specifically I duplicated gypsum wall board and I am trying to rename it gypsum ceiling board.

thanks for the help!

Message 19 of 23
Joe.Charpentier

Can you just attach the text file?  It will be much smaller than a PDF.

I didn't see anything in the journal about the matrial dialog- it seems to cut off during the file open operation.

Joe

Message 20 of 23
rydep
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Yeah, I can do that.

I try to upload the Revit file but for some reason I cannot do that? It says it's too big. I am just trying to upload an architectural template.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report