Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Grid Guides Origin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Dale.Bartlett
1117 Views, 6 Replies

2011 Grid Guides Origin

Hi All, The new Sheet Grid Guide object grid lines within the frame do not align with either the edge of the Grid border, or the Title Block. I'd like to allign them similar to aligning a Ceiling Grid to a wall. I can't see what origin is used, nor how to re-position any part of the Grid without physically moving the whole thing. And then the internal grid lines are still not aligned with the border edge. Any insight? Regards, Dale

The main purpose of the guide is to align datum elements (grids and levels) between views placed on a sheet. It does not really matter if the guide is aligned with the titleblock. If you apply the same guide to multiple sheets, the guide will be at the same location in relation to the titleblock anyway. What matters most, which is the reason why guide grids were introduced in 2011, is the alignment of views on the same sheet, and the location of similar views at the same place from sheet to sheet.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7

Hi Alfredo, Thank you for your reply. I understand the intent and use of the existing grid tool, and appreciate that it is better than nothing. Whether drawings on the sheet should be positioned accurately is a philosophical discussion without end. That said, I do wish to control the position of drawings on the sheet over multiple sheets/projects/paper sizes etc. Without knowing the origin of the grid, this is not guaranteed. Regards, Dale

Yes, it is guaranteed, because if you apply the same "Guide Grid 1" to multiple sheets which use the same title block, the grid lines will be at the same location on all the sheets. Therefore, for example, the intersection of the 4th vertical line with the 5th horizontal line will always be at the same place in all the set of sheets.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7

I appreciate that it may be in the same location across sheets. But for it to be generated by the software, it must have an origin. I want to know where/how that is determined. Regards, Dale

The center of the Guide Grid is the center of whatever is there on the sheet view. Usually the only object on the sheet is the titleblock; therefore the origin of the GG is the center of the title block. If you turn off the GG, move the titleblock, turn on the GG again, it will move along with the titleblock.

Message 7 of 7

Solved: The Origin of the Grid is the Project Origin of the Title Block family.

To set up correctly: Import an AutoCAD Origin Marker by Origin to Origin into your Title Block family. Move all drawn objects such that the lower left corner of the border frame is aligned with the imported AutoCAD Origin Marker. When this Title Block family is used in a project, the grid will correctly align with the lower and left frame lines. Regards, Dale  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report