Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Family replacer" script.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
247 Views, 1 Reply

"Family replacer" script.

Hi,

I have a seemingly simple task which I think will actually require a script. The project programming phase in my office involves the use of Rentable Areas & area boundaries. The downside is that I cannot show doors as there is nothing to host them to. So I created 2D unhosted doors from Generic Models with Family category set to "door". Pretty straightforward. Howerver now that I'm past programming & planning, I'm starting to place actual walls and want to convert the 2D doors into actual, wall hosted doors. But I can't replace an unhosted object with a hosted one. I get a "Can't place this element in this host message" everytime. So either I have to back and place normal wall hosted doors over my annotative ones manually, or I would need a plugin that would match the position and orientation of a selection of 2D door families with a hosted replacement and then delete the selection.

The downside is that I wouldn't know C# if you hit me with it and have never coded a line in my life in any way, shape or form. Does this sound like an achievable learning experience and if so can anyone suggest a good place to start ? And yes I am aware of the "My First Plugin" page. Honestly it would be more useful to me if, instead of copy a group over, it replaced said group with a 3D Text "Hello World" : )

Thanks.

JF

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe a better way to describe this would be a "Copy / Paste-in-place" that lets you substitute a different family between "Copy" and the "Paste" part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community