Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fbx export no longer exporting materials?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rwblodgett
2009 Views, 6 Replies

fbx export no longer exporting materials?

I'm using the Revit Arch 2011 API to export an FBX file.  Then I'm reading in that file using the FBX SDK 2010.2.  The materials are missing from the objects.  (obj->GetMaterial(id) returns NULL !!) This worked just fine in Revit Arch 2010.  This looks like a bug int he FBXExportOptions api.  Can someone confirm this?  What is the workaround that will work for 2010 and 2011?

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rwblodgett
in reply to: rwblodgett

By the way, just tried the FBX SDK 2011.3.1, and it still fails.

Message 3 of 7
rwblodgett

So, I've noticed tihs "known issue" ... which makes it appear to me that the fbx exported by Revit 2011 is not a "universal" format as advertised.  If the materials are stored in some strange format in the fbx file, how can we universrally access them from a 3rd party application via the FBX SDK?  Is there a way?  Please help!

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14633229&linkID=9243099

Message 4 of 7
shassing

I'm having the same problems using 2011 with update 2.

fbx exported from Revit 2011 does show in Quicktime with fbx plugin (without textures), but cannot be imported in Unity (3D Game-engine), because all materials are gone.

Also 2011 fbx converted to 2010 or 2009 (using Autodesk fbx converter) don't show up in Quicktime (empty)

Is there anyone of Autodesk reading this? Is this a bug or a not supported feature?

Message 5 of 7
Buzert

I'm in the same boat and it's sinking fast

I'm using revit 2011 to export fbx files

I'm using Maya 2011 sp1 with fbx version 2011.3 to import the fbx files

My OS is windows 7 64 bit with all the latest updates

The result in maya is all the geometry comes through but no textures, not even in a temp folder.  I'm logged in as administrator.  In maya I'm just left with geo and a whole bunch of grey phong materials with default values.

I've had no problem getting the fbx files into 3ds max 2011, with exception of them being placed in a temp folder which is such a hassel.  After the tedious process of re linking all the textures in max I then tried to export it out of max and into maya as a workaround but I still end up with the same results

Currently fbx is useless...

Message 6 of 7
ngoc.trang
in reply to: Buzert

Seems to be an unsolvable problems...

But I have try Nova Studio and they manage to import some informations...

I wonder how they do that !

Message 7 of 7
vincenthunter
in reply to: ngoc.trang

We have same problem, not sure if the FBX file format is ready yet.  Our firm can't use it until it is fully finished, i hope its ready in a few months to a year or so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community