Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get the PDF version of 2013 API developer's guide

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kukuzry
2633 Views, 15 Replies

Where can I get the PDF version of 2013 API developer's guide

I use the WIKI online version, webpage loading is very slow though I have high speed internet.  Also I would like to print out the book to read.  Is there any suggestion how I can get pdf version?

Thank you, 

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Joe.Ye
in reply to: kukuzry

From Revit 2013, Pdf version of developer guide is not provided.Instead, Revit online Wiki replaces the pdf version of the developer guide.

Joe Ye
Contractor
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 16
PatrickEC

I agree with kukurzy. WikiHelp is a great idea, but occasionaly it works very slowly or not at all. However, what I find more annoying is that it is not possible to limit searching only to the API related content.

Message 4 of 16
Joe.Ye
in reply to: PatrickEC

Thanks for the feedback.
I forwarded your feedback to the engineering team.
Our engineering team already knew these requests.

Joe Ye
Contractor
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 5 of 16
IAN~JAMES

I agree... I wanted to access this on my iPad so I could read it on the way to and from work with no internet access... So I spent quite a few hours copying and pasting into word, formatting and then pdf'd it... (Yes... Sad I know!) I read it online when I can so will pick up any updates...
If you'd like a copy... Drop me a line...

I'd like to be able to download the 2014 version, can't imagine doing that again...
Message 6 of 16
hugh1682
in reply to: IAN~JAMES

can I have the copy?
Message 7 of 16
IAN~JAMES
in reply to: hugh1682

Private Message me with your email address and i will send you a copy or link to my Google Drive

The file is approx 12-13MB

Cheers

Message 8 of 16
dannisha

Me too!2⃣️0⃣️1⃣️4⃣️PDF!
dannisha@gmail.com
Message 9 of 16
IAN~JAMES
in reply to: dannisha

I have posted a link below to the pdf files on dropbox.

These pdf's were created in early August 2013 from the Autodesk wiki as it stood at that point in time. it is offered with no warranty and at no charge. Please use the documents only for the purpose they were intended, for educational purposes and for reading offline when an internet connection isn't available. The information remains the property of Autodesk.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kv28m0f4yb7aax9/LyNg1yVMmd

Thanks

Message 10 of 16
CymapAndy

+1 for needing a PDF copy. Hopefully Autodesk will get it together to produce it for Revit 2014.

Thanks for posting this, great work.

CymapAndy.

Message 11 of 16
IAN~JAMES

If this link was useful and you grab a copy of the API Guidlines, please just take the time to click the Kudos next to my name...

Kudos.jpg.JPG

Revit 2013 API Developers Guidelines - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kv28m0f4yb7aax9/LyNg1yVMmd

Thanks

Message 12 of 16
jeremytammik

I did, and thank you again for providing this!

Would you like repeat it for Revit 2014 as well?

Or share the steps with us, so some other brave soul can step up for this challenge?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 16
IAN~JAMES
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi,

Funnily enough I almost made a start on this the other day, but there has been some strange re-structuring of the Wiki help website which also includes wiping out the Revit 2013 portion by the looks of it…

Basically I sat there for many hours going from page to page, and copying and pasting from Internet Explorer to Word, then a bit of re-formatting to get rid of the dreaded Times New Roman font and then PDF’ing…

I find it better to paste into a Portrait A3 document, PDF it and then if I print any of it, I still print at A4, the text is still readable…

I might still have a go at the 2014 stuff, but my current window of availability has just closed, I’m going to be snowed under with work for the next week against a stiff deadline, but maybe after that if things calm down enough again…

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened to the 2013 wiki and if it is just temporary… I did post on here about it, but got little response…

Thanks for the Kudos...

Message 14 of 16
jeremytammik

Oh, no, how utterly horrible, man.

That sounds stupendously tedious and a heroic job, downright Herculean.

Multiply my thanks by a million, please.

I would suggest using a different apporach, e.g. Googling for something like "download website content".

One of the hits I see is this:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-do-i-download-an-entire-website-for-offline-reading

If it works, it will save you a significant amount of tedium and manual labour, and no need to worry about the restructuring.

Or look at using tools like jquery et al:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/cloud_and_mobile/2013/09/list-typepad-articles-using-jquery.htm

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 15 of 16
IAN~JAMES

Hahaha I knew that there must have been a smarter way to go about it, but I had a machine with no install permissions for custom software, and a need for the info in pdf format so I could read it on my iPad while travelling and abiout a week of spare time between current projects finishing and me setting off to work abroad with little or no internet access to look forward to 🙂

I had PDF'd various chapters previously so I just extended the process... it was about 2/3 the way through I started regretting it, but it has been invaluable since.

I should look at automating the process though 🙂 maybe my next challenge 🙂

Message 16 of 16
IAN~JAMES

Hi All,

Greetings from Sunny Bangkok Cat Very Happy

For those of you who are monitoring this feed, I have just uploaded the 2014 version of the document which can be found on the following post:

Click Me

I hope you enjoy it and find at useful as I'm sure I will... I couldn't have managed without the 2013 version...

If you are interested, I did spend last weekend trying to figure out a way of Automating the process of collating this information, I did manage to write a VBA Macro in Word that navigated to the pages, and also figured out how to navigate the tree, but the bits that caught me out were controlling the output pdf name (I did manage to find a solution to print the page to a default printer). the other part of the problem was capturing the text styles without access to the css information. Surely the text formatting must exist on the client side somewhere...?

I put the project on the back-burner at that point and decided to hand-ball it again this weekend.

If anyone knows the answers to the above pieces of the puzzle and fancies teaming up to crack it for when 2015 comes out,  or if you can point me in the approximate direction then message me Smiley Happy

Regards

Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community