Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit DB Link with SQL Server

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
s_solt
5313 Views, 4 Replies

Revit DB Link with SQL Server

I have been trying the RevitDBLink plugin for Revit 2013 downloaded from the subscription resources. It doesn't appear to include any guidance nor can I find any online. These are my observations:

After installing it and starting Revit, The Add-ins menu now includes the item Revit DB Link greyed until a project is loaded

Click on this and it offers a dialog to select a new or recent database connection. There are tabs for Access 2000-2003, Access 2007 and ODBC.

I selected ODBC tab (intending to use SQL Server), and [Select a new Connection]

There are Export and Edit and Import buttons. I clicked Export and the standard Windows Select Data Source dialog appeared.

Because I wasn't logged on to WIndows 7 as Administrator, I couldn't create a Machine Data Source, so I chose a File Data Source and saved it as RDBLink.dsn

I selected the appropriate SQL Server, Integrated Security and didn't alter the default database.

When the the DB Link exported the project data to SQL two things happened:

1) Tables and foreign keys were created in the Master database - not intended

I had to clean up my master database using scripts generated like so:

SELECT 'ALTER TABLE ' + t.name + ' DROP CONSTRAINT ' + k.name FROM sys.foreign_keys k

INNER JOIN sys.tables t ON k.parent_object_id = t.object_id WHERE t.is_ms_shipped = 0

SELECT 'DROP TABLE ' + [Name] FROM sys.tables WHERE is_ms_shipped = 0

2) Truncation errors occurred where the exported data exceeded the size of the destination fields.

IMHO this is a bug in the Revit DB Link which may make it unsuitable for safe round trip (edit in DB and reimport to Revit) operations.

I only wanted to export from Revit so I tried again having

a) created an empty database RDBLink and selected it as default 

b) unticked Use ANSI Nulls Paddings and Warnings

The import stilll produced errors; some tens of entries like this:

< DBG_WARN: for MEP topologies key, the optionId should be notInOptionId: line 96 of Elem\PlanTopologyIdInfo.cpp.

Again, since I wasn't interested in MEP I wasn't bothered anthough, again, this looks like a bug with the RDB Link.

I did get 251 tables of data from my Revit Project, including a table of Views with the following fields:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Views](
[Id] [int] NOT NULL,
[Family] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[FamilyandType] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[PhaseFilter] [int] NULL,
[PartsVisibility] [int] NULL,
[DetailLevel] [int] NULL,
[SunPath] [int] NULL,
[DisplayName] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[SheetName] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[SheetNumber] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[Orientation] [int] NULL,
[AssociatedLevel] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[Discipline] [int] NULL,
[DisplayModel] [int] NULL,
[ViewScale] [int] NULL,
[ScaleValue1:] [int] NULL,
[TitleonSheet] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[ViewName] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[Phase] [int] NULL,
[Sub-discapline] [nvarchar](255) NULL, --Mis spelling not mine!

From this I created a Query of Views:

SELECT TOP ( 100 ) PERCENT
    Id
   ,SheetName
   ,SheetNumber
   ,TitleonSheet
   ,ViewName
   ,'1:' + CAST([ScaleValue1:] AS NVARCHAR(5)) AS Scale
FROM
    dbo.Views
WHERE 
   SheetNumber IS NOT NULL 
ORDER BY
    SheetName
   ,SheetNumber
   ,ViewName

Quite a performance just to get this information. I'm going to try it doing it by using code and the api instead of the RDB Link but I hope the steps I have outlined help others to get Revit data into SQLServer.

Steve

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeremytammik
in reply to: s_solt

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for this helpful information. I am sure it will be much appreciated. To ensure you get full visibility for this, I would be happy to create a blog post on The Building Coder from it, if you like. Thank you!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 5
PGibson1969

Hi, I know this is one and a half years later, but I just did an ODBC export to SQL Server and encountered the same thing (tables created in master) that you did.  I used the queries you have below (copied and pasted into a new query, both statements) and the query executes correctly, but the tables dont dissappear.  What am I missing?  Did you use a command line interface for that?  I am using the new query in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, and executing within there, so perhaps there is a step missing, but the tables stay there (screen shot below).  Thanks for any help you can provide!

Paul

SQLQuery.JPG

Message 4 of 5
s_solt
in reply to: PGibson1969

I will get back to you tomorrow. If. I don't then call my mobile 07747718389
Steve

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com
Message 5 of 5
PGibson1969

Hey, I did a quick reply, but didn't see it post.  Basically I figured out that your queries just generate a list of SQL commands, so I redirected the results to a file and then used that file as a new query.  It worked, but the management studio tree view does not update correctly (even when refreshed) and so I could not tell it worked unitl I closed the tree and re-opened.  Thanks for your great post . . by the way, did you ever figure out how to get the export to create a new database, or to use one that you created for that purpose?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community