Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit API & System Families

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ari.mont
975 Views, 7 Replies

Revit API & System Families

Hi,

I have doubt about customization of a system families. Is possible create a new system families by Revit API?

I've studied the available Revit documentation and I know that is no possible create a new system families by family editor. But, I need create a new special wall family that meet my design requeriments. Revit documentation says it is only possible create new family types of a system family, not a system family.

These family types inherit the system family parameters. In my case, I want to create a new wall family with new parameters. So, the Revit API offers this option?

Thanks,
Ari
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
daniel.schmid
in reply to: ari.mont

Simple answer: NO

System Families cannot deleted nor created. But it is possible to create new family types. Reading your post, I think this is exactly what you want to do. A new wall with a new layer structure or changing other parameters means to create a new wall type. In the case of walls, you really don't want to create a new family, don't you?

Greets
Daniel
Message 3 of 8
ari.mont

Hi Daniel,

In fact, I really want to create a new wall familiy, not a new family type of a existing wall family.

Basically, my problem is the following:

The grafical representation of wall is limited to its volume and its composition witch is defined by a list of layers.

Elements like bloks is not represented as a 3D objects into the wall families. Is possible to represent the blocks using a pattern, but this solution not meet requirements of some types of design.

My idea is to create a new system wall familiy where the blocks are already represented. But, the blocks may have several modules, that is, several sizes.

I didn't find a solution for this problem using a pattern definition. I think is possible to solve this problem, only creating families for each elements of wall.

But, I know that this solution can decrease the application performance. Do you have some sugestion?

thanks,
Ari
Message 4 of 8
daniel.schmid

Hm, sometimes I am bad in understanding problems. I still have don't see the necessity of having a new wall class. But even if I would, the bad message for you remains the same. You have to stick to the existing wall family in Revit and try to solve your requirements by other means. Here an excerpt from the Revit Architecture family handbook (I translate from the German version): "System families cannot be created, copied, modified nor deleted. It is possible although to create new user defined types by copying an existing one..." and so on.

So the only help I can give is to suggest looking for alternatives. Maybe a curtain wall or something else has the functionality you need.

Greets
Daniel
Message 5 of 8
ari.mont

OK Daniel!

Thanks for your assistence.

Ari
Message 6 of 8
ari.mont

Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks,
Ari
Message 7 of 8
arsp26

Hi Ari, it's been a while since you posted your message but I thought I should ask: Did you find any solution?
Further to my first question, Is there any way to create parameters of type "dropdown"? So far I have only been able to create parameters
of type "textbox"

Cheers.
Message 8 of 8
yafa1978

I'd really like to modify additional system family, for instance: I want the views on floor plans to be separated as dimension plans, Annotation plans, Furniture plans, Lighting and false ceiling plans for large projects, wherein small scale projects I need to have Dimension, FC & Annotation only, this variable requirements can't be established with the current:view / user interface / browser organization since the plans are limited to floor plans, ceiling plans...

Also it's easier for worksharing to have them separately specially when there is a big project please advice

thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community