Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 API Enhancements?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
smbrennan
1588 Views, 13 Replies

Revit 2015 API Enhancements?

I read on blog that there are some API improvements to 2015, but can't seem to find any specifics other than "Electrical API enhancements - Create wires, add/modify wire properties and remove vertices." 

Has anyone seen any specifics?

Thanks

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
arnostlobel
in reply to: smbrennan

Because the 2015 version has not been officially launched, we cannot list any new features just yet. When Revit 2015 becomes available, the list of new API features will be posted on Autodesk website, in the Revit SDK section.

Oh, and there is going to be more than just "Electrical enhancements." 😉

Arnošt Löbel

Sr. Principal Engineer

Autodesk, Revit R&D

Arnošt Löbel
Message 3 of 14
smbrennan
in reply to: arnostlobel

So even though the website (Autodesk) lists 2015 changes and the announcement was made on Thursday, it's not "officially" launched and there are other features that haven't been announced yet?

Can you at least share when this is? 😉
Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 14
arnostlobel

I am sorry, maybe you have more updated information than I. We developers here in the R&D basement are usually the last ones to know when something gets released; officially that is. 🙂

When I go to the Autodesk website and navigate to the main Revit product site, I get this note:

"Note: Revit 2015 software will be available soon. But you can try Revit 2014 now."

Do you see anything else? Where did you see the Revit 2015 release announcement?

Thank you 

Arnošt Löbel

Autodesk, Revit R&D

Arnošt Löbel
Message 5 of 14
smbrennan

I guess when I saw AutoCAD 2015 Trial available for download, that I assumed all products had been announced/released.

However, the Features list of Revit do list 2015 features, such as keeping parameters in order. That's an easy one to identify for any Revit user, so it has to be 2015.

This is the closest I got to an announcement:

http://news.autodesk.com/press-release/archived/new-autodesk-2015-design-suites-drive-unsurpassed-va...

Shawn B.

|   
Message 6 of 14
arnostlobel

Again, I may be wrong, but I think that the official public release date for Revit 2015 was set for Apr. 11th, and that is when the Revit SDK along with the final "what's new" document ought to become available too. However, I honestly do not know who makes the final decision about the release date. It is not always all set once we release to manufacturing. Either way, I think the release is just a matter of days away and when it happens the SDK will be posted.

Thank you

Arnošt Löbel
Autodesk, Revit R&D
Arnošt Löbel
Message 7 of 14
smbrennan

Fair enough. Thanks for the info!

Shawn B.

|   
Message 8 of 14
sburca

Really? That's all the improvements in 2015? You've got to be joking. Forget Christmas socks, I call these improvements more of... a painting - you can replace the one you have, but it might not be worth the hassle.

But seriously, not even one solid improvement? The site tools are the pits (I'm glad most of our projects are on flat sites, but that won't be true for much longer), renderings or interfacing with 3d Max is not much better, same with text, etc., etc., and the improved list starts off with "sketchy lines"? I really do hope that this is an Apri Fools joke. If not, can I just skip this version (with the appropriate credit in subscription pricing)?

And I'm as serious as can be. I don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate, but... The fruits of a monopoly - lack of need to really compete in the marketplace.

Message 9 of 14
arnostlobel
in reply to: sburca

Sburka,

I have no idea what you are referring to. How can you be complaining about not getting enough improvements when we did not say yet what improvement there will be in the Revit 2015 API (once it gets released.) Can you be more clear, please?

Thank you

Arnošt Löbel

Autodesk, Revit R&D

Arnošt Löbel
Message 10 of 14
sburca

Ok, you might be correct - maybe it's not the API per se. I was talking about the overall "improvements" in 2015...

I'll relocate my post then... 😕

Message 11 of 14
arnostlobel
in reply to: sburca

Oh, I see. As a member of the Revit API group, I am "sort of" relieved you did not mean the API. 😉 We do have quite a number of improvements coming, in fact. Again, I cannot list any details yet, but I think a lot of folks will be satisfied. Not all, naturally - we simply cannot please everyone, although we really try our best to squeeze as much as possible (minding quality) in the given time of each release.

And, one more thing. Sburca, I am sorry i misspelled your name in my previous post.

Cheers
Arnošt Löbel
Autodesk, Revit R&D
Arnošt Löbel
Message 12 of 14
jeremytammik

Dear Brennan,

Thank you for your query.

I published a blog post presenting the DevDays Online material discussing the Revit 2015 API enhancements:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2014/04/revit-2015-api-news-devdays-online-recording.html

It provides a first overview and some in-depth demos of the new Revit 2015 API functionality:

It also includes pointers to a couple of posts by other people on the product related improvements.

There will be much more coming anon, obviously.

That should be more than enough to get you started, though.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 14
smbrennan
in reply to: jeremytammik

Jeremy -

It certainly does provide more information. Thank you for that. As Arnošt told me the release was slated for Thursday/Friday this week, I'll continue to keep my eyes open for any announcements. I'm especially interested in the changes on the Electrical/Wiring side. Hopefully I'll finally see some improvement.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Shawn B.

|   
Message 14 of 14
Corbin_S

Great job Autodesk! So far I love Revit 2015... Cannot wait until office installs on my work computer.

Would be nice to see the day when AutoCAD and pathetic SketchUp become extinct.

Keep up the great work, and quality control.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community