Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to identify coordinates on Linked DWG Model?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MarkSanchezSPEC
351 Views, 2 Replies

Possible to identify coordinates on Linked DWG Model?

My users are linking 3D DWG models into their Revit Structure 2012 projects.  While there is a way in Revit to identify coordinates of Revit objects, is there any way to do the same on an object that is part of a linked model? For example, the user wants to id the top of a pipe, which is an extruded solid within the 3D model.

Would it be possible to access these pieces of the DWG model within Revit using the API?

Any ideas appreciated.

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ollikat
in reply to: MarkSanchezSPEC

Use the lookup tool to get idea how structure is stored inside the linked object.

- Select the linked object from the project

- Use lookup tool to "Snoop current selection..."

- Check the geometry property and it's objects...

Message 3 of 3
MarkSanchezSPEC
in reply to: ollikat

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was able to decipher that by "lookup tool" you meant the RvtMgdDbg utility.  I have some experience with the old ARX version.  Alas, I was unable to compile it as I have Revit Structure 2012 and there were some extensive Namespace changes that I don't have time to account for.

In any case, my past experience says that such a tool, while great, will not work for our purposes.  What we need is a way to return just the xyz coordinates of a user-selected point on an object ( a linked 3D-solid object specifically) and not ALL the properties about the selected object.

Appreciate your response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community