Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Products

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
maberry
282 Views, 1 Reply

Parametric Products

I deal with custom casework where custom is required for as-built field conditions.  Height, width, and depth are only a few of possibly hundreds of conditions that need to be parametric.  Currently we engineer these cabinets in AutoCAD 3D, whereas there is a spreadsheet driving the parametric drawing.  All of canned data is stuffed into a SQL database.  Our customers also need manufacturing data coming from the drawings, so I am a little confused about how we should interface with Revit.  I see that it is possible to import from AutoCAD, but don't see that thee is a standardized way to provide information about the products such as manufacture, item number, size, price, etc...  We built a small plug-in that allows us to bring over a corrisponding spreadsheet with such information, but there must be some unobvious and standardized way to deal with customers where families / libraries in Revit just aren't practical.  For reference, www.microvellum.com.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeremytammik
in reply to: maberry

Dear maberry, I would hope that your AutoCAD workflow involves a custom plu-in of yours which reads all these hundreds of spreadsheet or database parameters and generates the appropriate geometry from it automatically. Similarly, you would implement a Revit add-in which reads the parameters and generates a family definition from them using the Revit Family API:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/10/families-guide.html

The blog includes a pointer to the ADN Family API training material plus couple of samples showing how to generate and load families programmatically.

I hope this helps.

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community